Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 321 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    B
    bk1 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Hi everyone:

I'm trying to advocate for accommodation for faster math learners at my DS's school. I have a question about rate of learning for children and I thought someone on this board might be able to help me out with, by pointing me to a research article that discusses this. I'm hoping I can find information about appropriate pace of math learning for, say, the upper quartile of children of a particular age, because a LOT of parents at school have been asking me about it, and we would need about that many to have a separate, faster-paced math class for each grade.

For example, is there any article out there that sets out what level of student could handle math instruction at double the speed? Students in top 2 percent on grade level achievement tests? Students in top 20 percent on grade level achievement tests? Students with 130+ IQ?

IQ is actually not so helpful for my argument to school admin. as I think only the struggling students at school get IQ tested (since there is not GT ed mandate in my state) so even if I made the case that all kids with 130+ IQ should get double-paced math, I wouldn't be able to show that the children had IQs above 130!

Of course, if you have only IQ/learning rate info, I'll take it!

Thanks,

bk

B
    bk1 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Also, as background, I guess I should say that this is an elementary school covering pre-k through 5 and that they use TERC. The principal thinks that by grade three, there isn't a big range in math ability, and that students learn so much conceptually by using the TERC lesson plans, that even if they know how to perform the "arithmetic," they are still missing important math learning by not getting the conceptual TERC lesson.

So, given the principal's mindset, I think I might have a greater probability of success if I propose that the pace of class would be speeded up by covering the concept with the on-grade TERC lesson, and then moving on to the TERC lesson for the same concept the next grade up. For example, students learn two-figure addition, and then move right into three-figure addition.

bk

T
    T
    I haven't found any specifics but I remember reading an article that said in gifted students, a reduction/acceleration of up to 50% of the presented math material had no effect on achievement scores. I will look for the exact article tomorrow. Gifted population in my district means anyone with CogAts of 90th percentile or higher. In most, I do think its 130 IQ or higher.

B
    bk1 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Thanks everyone!

I just wrote this really detailed reply and then lost it when I failed to submit after previewing my reply. Anyone know how to get that back? (The back button on my browser didn't do it.)

thebees: Thanks so much. This sounds like what I was looking for.

kcab: I posted my question to the forum you provided the link for.

Dottie: I know, I guess I have been too civic-minded for DS's own good. I guess I should proceed on two "tracks"(pun intended):

1) continue pushing for something appropriate for DS

2) continue pushing for better math options for the group.

bk

bk,
    Remember the shape of that belle, the bell curve. It's really big and fat in the middle. The top quartile could, I am sure, do well with an enriched or accelerated math, but it isn't likely to be any where near what your child needs. OTOH, a group like this a few years older than your child might fit the bill nicely.

there is some work by Cheryl Fox with the Michigan Multiage Continous progress Model and McClellan and Kinsey's Grouping for learning that says that everyone learns more if they are near their "readiness level." As to how much more I think that would depend on if the teachers are willing to pretest and compact.

Of course the big demonstration of how fast kids can learn math is Julian Stanly's work at John Hopkins CTY. He is the one who started giving 12 year olds the SAT as a way to look for Math Talent, and then teaching them a year of Math over one Summer. This may not relate directly to the info you are looking for, but an email to the current CTY staff might get you some answers.

Best Wishes,
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM