Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Hello,

I'm trying to figure out what is going on with my 9 year old daughter who is in 3rd grade. She is exceptionally creative. For fun, she writes stories or makes up games with boards and pieces. She's been writing fiction stories with dialog since 1st grade and also does things like making precisely angled and supported roller coasters out of toilet paper rolls. She has done well in class, reads 2 grades above her level, is on the "hard" spelling lists and gets 103% right, etc. She has been in enrichment the past two years. This year is a whole different story.

Suddenly, she is getting B's and C's and was pulled out of enrichment due to inability to keep up. Her class work was coming home to be re-done and it seems like she doesn't get the instructions right. She knows how to do the problems, but doesn't do it right according to the instructions. For instance, it will read "Round to the nearest thousand" and she ends up rounding to the nearest hundred. She is bored and breezes through the regular curriculum, but can't keep up with the enrichment. Also, she cannot stay organized and can't seem to keep track of what is due and when. Even when it is written down on the chalkboard, she fails to copy it down right.

Her CogAT scores place her above average in nonverbal reasoning (7C) but two levels lower for quantitative reasoning (5C). The cumulative score, put her at a 6C, which is the high end of average.

Things just don't seem to add up for me. How come I see so much talent at home, but then her important scores at school don't reflect this. I have a gut feeling that she is a twice exceptional student. Her school is telling me she is just average and planning to do nothing. I'm wondering if I am onto something here or just imaging things. If anyone has any insight, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks.

Warmly,

Connie

Hi and welcome.
    I see that you posted awhile ago and no one has responded. I'm not the most experienced person here but I guess I'll try.

Has anything happened in the last year or over the summer or since the beginning of this year? Is your duaghter under any stress or had any emotional trauma recently that might cause her to have problems with focus and concentration? I'm confused as to whether she is showing problems all the way around or just in enrichment or only at school, or what. Is there anything going on at school? Is she trying to dumb herself down to fit in with a certain group of kids? Is she feeling self-conscious about being gifted or pulled out for the enrichment?

It doesn't make any sense to me that she would suddenly start showing signs of having a LD. I would think that there would have been signs, even if you missed them, from previous years at school. You don't just all of a sudden "get" a learning disability.

Have you considered private testing?

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM