Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #39708 03/01/09 06:07 PM
    Z
    OP Offline
    Z
    http://www.worldmathday.com/

Students from all over the world will be participating tomorrow (March 4th in New Zealand). This is an on-line activity. Students can register as individuals (from home) or as a classroom.

My kids registered today, created a face (they really enjoyed that and are still tweaking it), and played some practice games. (Kids are placed by age and can advance through the levels. They play with other kids who happen to be on-line somewhere else in the world. It's fast paced and fun.)

Enjoy!

So exciting ... I really should start a journal of all of this for when my DD is of age.

Good luck to your kids and I am sure they will have so much fun.

I wish we could participate, but we have a full day tomorrow as it is. I hope to hear back from those who do take part!

Z
    OP Offline
    Z
    It starts tomorrow at 6 am and continues until the last place on earth completes March 4th... so it runs 48 hours. Maybe your kids can squeeze some time in? Mine are getting just as much out of the practice games today. So, it's worth the registration for us even though we'll be out most of the day tomorrow.

Our DS6 loves the competition, his school signd him up. They seem to compete at age level though. He played about 45 games on Saturday.

Z
    OP Offline
    Z
    It's supposed to be easy (12-18 is the oldest level and they only do multiplication and division facts, I think). The kids are supposed to be able to do it all with mental math and with speed.

I have read that the difficulty will increase as you go. I've also read that, although that happened last year, it won't happen this year. Go figure. I don't know which one of these things is true. I sure hope the challenge increases with accuracy. I guess we'll see.

You could always sign your kiddo up from home and put another age in to get the level kiddo wants. He could play from home after school on that account.

Level 1 is 5-7 addition to 10
    Level 2 is 8-9 simple subtraction and two digit addition
    Level 3 is 10-11 not sure (no kiddo in this level)
    Level 4 is 12-18 multiplication (like 36X2) and division

My 9 year old was accidentally put into Level 4, which would have worked out just fine, but I didn't know that. I corrected his age (took him out of the 12 year old class and entered him individually as a 9 year old) and it brought him down to Level 2. Sigh!

Remember that this is computation drill and speed is also important (accuracy is the main concern, though). There are kids from Asian countries and other math-strong countries competing in their own age groups. Many of these kids are GOOD. Many are slower and make some mistakes. Each race is different depending upon who the kid happens to be matched up with for that race.

Have fun!

We tried it and I am really bumped that you cannot adjust the level to something at least remotely challenging for DS6. Oh well, at least DS4 (entered as 5 year old) can gain some speed out of it.

LMom
    LMom #39846 03/02/09 08:09 PM
    Z
    OP Offline
    Z
    That's how I am looking at it, LMom: gaining speed. My kids also like knowing that they're competing in real time with kids from around the world. They discuss the countries their opponents are from, names of their schools, kids' names, etc while they're playing. They're also comparing fine motor techniques to increase their speed. Ha! (Good thing the math is easy. All that multitasking going on...)

My 9 y.o. has extreme time limit aversion, so this easy stuff with the touch of geography information and real-time competition to distract him from the timer is perfect. (He also likes the bar graph representation of each child's progress and speed.)

My 7 y.o. dd loves changing her avatar's clothes and hairstyles! Ha!

The kids' most recent topic of discussion is the number of minutes they need to play and when during the day they'll play them in order to accumulate a certain number of points and get their names on the "top students" list. Strategy!

smile

Last edited by zaichiki; 03/02/09 08:11 PM. Reason: add the strategy paragraph
    hmm, maybe we can do it after all! Thanks for the tip, Z!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM