Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    OP Offline
    When advocating it's always a good idea to send the follow up letter and a thank you note, even if things don't necessarily go quite right. We've all learned that here!

Today, when I walked into the school to pick up my kids, the principal HUGGED me! Why? Because I took the time to write a letter to the Superintendant of our district regarding all that they've done for my DS. The Super sent me a nice e-mail in return thanking me for taking the time to write to her. I thought that was the end of it. I found out today that she had forwarded my letter to the entire district and I spent all afternoon getting huge smiles and thanks from the staff at our school.

Since we are going to need lots more support in the next few years, I feel like this letter has helped smooth over future bumps in the road. Don't forget to say Thanks!!

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    Excellent point! (And manners! Someone raised you right!)

laugh

Kriston
    <eye roll>

wink

Kriston
    OP Offline
    I'll tell my Mom! Manners were pounded into our heads as kids. We always had to write Thank you cards etc.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    YEAH Shari!!! We all need a reminder sometimes. I sent DS's K teacher a thank you note a few weeks ago thanking her for taking the time to write up the detailed letters home about what the kids are doing in class.

I've also been trying to do random acts of kindness when I'm out (letting someone w/ fewer groceries go ahead of me, getting someone a shopping cart when his hands were full, giving away my extra michael's coupon I couldn't use) and I've already been paid back. I was at the Quickie-mart to buy milk to make cornbread and forgot DH had taken my cash and it wasn't enough to charge. The guy behind me said "OH just take it. I'll pay for it." I'll thanked him and said, "I hope some good comes your way today," to which he replied, "It always does." It just made my day!

That's so great! I always try to say thank you, too! Sometimes it's a little harder when the person you are thanking hasn't always been *helpful* in the past.... But, sucking it up and doing the right thing is always good!

I love that the thank you came simply from a sincere intent to thank! I do think it will go a long, long, way in future advocation.

Good for you and congrats!

Neato

Way to go Shari.

Or just a smile when someone looks down or confused.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM