Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    I am a new user and not good at searching so hope this hasn't been discussed before. We are thinking about this school. Can anyone offer us any advice on it?

Hopefully Wren will drop in and comment.

T
    OP Offline
    T
    Thanks Austin, hope someone can give me any advice.

W
    W
    Just got back from Central America. Totally recommend it. There were 250 kids on board. DD4 loved the kids' club and it was a great real cultural trip for her. Think Disney in April will be the last trip there.

I am not totally familiar with the Long Island school for the gifted though know a woman whose daughters went there and loves it. Her daughters are grown now so it is not a recent review but she is a teacher, very involved in gifted education and I think is somewhat on top of it.

Ren

E
    ew8 Offline
    E
    ( I am a new user myself - my first post )
    I have 2 in Long island School For the Gifted. I am very happy with it so far. They have the kids in class with peers for Language Arts, Social Studies, science... They start learning chemistry in kindergarden along with spanish.
    There is pull out by level for reading, math and spelling. The teachers and kids are wonderful.
    It is a drag that we pay a lot of taxes on LI, for public education and then need to send to private. My son is highly gifted, my daughter is gifted and the school is helping them excel and they are happy.
    If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

I have the opportunity to move to vermont and I haven't found the same level of education. I don't know if anyone knows of comparable programs in Northern Vermont? i will probably stay because of the school.

T
    OP Offline
    T
    Thanks for the input Wren.

T
    OP Offline
    T
    Thank you so much for the reply ew8.
    We are going to check the school out.
    Yep LI taxes are so high and paying for school on top of it is crazy. This is why my husband doesn't want to move to LI. We live in Queens. It will be a bit of a drive but I feel like I would do anything to find an appropriate place for my DS.
    We might try one year of gifted public to at least see how it is. But I hear 1st grade gifted is still 1st grade curriculum.
    The Long Island School told me the IQ Test is valid for 3 years (could you confirm that), if so then we do have 1 year to play with before making the decision. And we could save 12K in the process! So your DD is also there? That is a lot of money. So far my other DS (2) is not showing any "gifted" signs.

T
    OP Offline
    T
    ew8...
    I doubt it but do they have any transportation from Queens?

hey tracy, the school is in hunington station.... could you take the train?

They have a monthly and yearly pass' which is way cheeper

The trains are much nicer then they used to be.... lol, I remember the trains of the 70's..... uugh!

I would love to move back to long island, but it's way too expensive

T
    OP Offline
    T
    Hi Jenjoysoup,
    Well I looked it up on www.hopstop.com and it said 1 hr and 30 minutes as opposed to 30 minutes driving.
    I agree I would rather take the train if it were also 30 minutes. I do work from home so I think it is possible , my husband said he would do mornings and I would then do afternoons.
    Problem would be if I had another seizure and can't drive for a year. Well then maybe my mother in law or father in law could step in. A big burden I would hate to as of them. UGH!! Dilemmas Dilemmas! Thanks for the reply.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM