Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by CathyA
    I'm not sure that boredom itself is the problem. I let my kids be "bored" at home but they are free to amuse themselves when they choose to. I think the problem is how some teachers handle downtime for kids who are ahead. Are these students allowed to choose an interesting/new and/or constructive activity or are they required to do more busywork?

This really hit the nail on the head of the issue for me. I'll be asking a modified version of that question at future school meetings.

I've been thinking about DD6's "I daydream most of the time in school" comment and following this discussion with great interest. I appreciate having all the different views to consider.

Originally Posted by Dottie
    I've also met tons of kids, boys in particular that are bored with school who are pretty normal in intelligence/development. I don't mean to stereotype, but it is more often the boys than the girls.

Yes, I'm reading the book "The Trouble with Boys" which is an interesting read about the mismatch of the typical classroom w/ the typical boy. I don't doubt this is some of my son's issues. Too many worksheets and not enough hands on exploration.

acs Offline
    Yes, My DS is a well-rounded learner, but his preferred mode of input is still auditory. This, I think, has made his school experience a much better fit. My kinesthetic friends struggled more even though they were very bright.

On the issue of, "if your kid is doing well in public school maybe he isn't that gifted", I have heard that from several directions. I have definitely heard it on boards, but it is also implied in Ruf's book and on Hoagies, both of which I highly respect. Basically, they say, HG+ kids tend to not do well in public school. So, the reader of such a comment is left to wonder, "if my kid is doing well in public school, then perhaps he isn't HG+?"

Thanks ACS ... I have to admit my first real meltdown in regards to gifted and schooling was reading Ruf's book with comments on Level 4 and 5 kids tend not to do well in public schools. Here was my whole plan thrown back in my face and me freaking out. So hearing you and Dottie say: Yes it is possible and my child is proof makes me feel a little better.

Originally Posted by acs
    Basically, they say, HG+ kids tend to not do well in public school. So, the reader of such a comment is left to wonder, "if my kid is doing well in public school, then perhaps he isn't HG+?"

And schools (public and private) will lead you to believe that if your child is not doing well in school, he isn't HG+.

As parents, our judgment about how GT our kids are is always being questioned--by others and by ourselves. I'm so glad that there is a forum like this where we can discuss these issues!

Jool Offline OP
    OP Offline
    DS never spontaneously complains of boredom. He could entertain himself for hours with a shoestring. The red flags I saw in him in K were much more subtle than overt unhappiness. It was comments like "I don't learn anything in school" and contentment with review of stuff he knew several years before and perfectionism that got me concerned. That's why I love the "extreme" stories on this forum. If I didn't hear very sad stories about underchallenged kids who burned out I probably wouldn't have even thought of gradeskipping a happy child. Likewise, the stories on the other extreme about HG+ kids doing well in PS with not much intervention help me to not panic when the situation isn't perfect. I want to hear stories about A, Z, and everything in between...

Dottie wrote:
    I've also met tons of kids, boys in particular that are bored with school who are pretty normal in intelligence/development. I don't mean to stereotype, but it is more often the boys than the girls.

How did those ND boys react to boredom? I talked to parents whose kid wasn't exactly thrilled w/ school and complained of boredom, but they liked going to school for recess and PE and specials. My kid was the only one w/ daily stomach aches, nausous, headaches, sobbing at night before bed about going to school the next day etc. From what I"ve read, boys tend to tune out but I've not seen mention of the physical and emotional symptoms that my son experienced.

My DS6 is having the same physical symptoms about public school this year. He hates going. The work is too easy and even lunch, recess and specials are not going well since those are the times of the day when he has the worst behavior. I wish we could make the public school system work--it'd be so much cheaper.

Have no fear Jool, I will always be around to share our sad public school story--well at least until he starts private GT school in the fall. smile

Crisc
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by Cathy A
    Originally Posted by acs
    Basically, they say, HG+ kids tend to not do well in public school. So, the reader of such a comment is left to wonder, "if my kid is doing well in public school, then perhaps he isn't HG+?"

And schools (public and private) will lead you to believe that if your child is not doing well in school, he isn't HG+.

I would say from my own experience and what I've seen in my DS- if you have a child who is doing well in public school, perhaps he/she has learned what ND looks like and replicates it well!

Not all kids can or will be able to make that work either emotionally or socially. And certainly not for a long period of time. For me personally, I realized that in 7th grade it wasn't cool to be smart and decided to start skipping a certain number of math problems on the test. I could get a 93%, still not screw up my grades and yet not be so "perfect".

Jool Offline OP
    OP Offline
    CAMom, your story reminds me of something my DS said the other day about a boy in his class. He's in the GT pullout with DS and is a teacher's pet-type - a model for behavior. I'm not sure of his LOG, but with heterogenous grouping, even MG kids have to do lots of unncessary review. Anyhow, this boy apparently told DS that he makes mistakes on purpose so that he "doesn't have to skip a grade" like my DS. I'm in no position to judge his parents. But I can't help feeling like someone should be advocating for him. Perhaps if he were acting out, he would be in better shape in a way. I wonder if a kid like this is just at much at risk for underachievement than the clearly unhappy kid.

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM