Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
    Yes but for some kids hard work is fun! But I do get your point and I've used that myself.

The other comment I got was (and this was from DH to DS) "well you'll have fun and learn something in AP classes in High school." I about died at that statement. He's in 1st grade for goodness sake. Poor DS replied, "That's a very long time from now," nearly in tears.

Sure, but I think in that particular argument, Dazey, whether work is fun or not is NOT the point you want to make. Know your audience, you know? wink

Kriston
    Yes it definitely depends on the audience, which way you go. I just lumped all those statements into one. The people I was speaking to, are equating *work* with *boring* and *not fun.* they are probably thinking of filing papers and such.

Someone might ask "what does your son say about school?" or they might ask him and he'll say "School is boring." But it's not someone I want to get into a whole needs more challenging work, knew that 2yrs ago, gifted blah blah blah conversation. So I usually go the route of differences in personality and interests which is generally less threatening ie son likes science and history which is not a focus of K-2 etc.

Last edited by Dazed&Confuzed; 02/22/09 07:49 AM.
    Jool Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by acs
    I do want my son to be able to tolerate a certain amound of boredom. I do want him to learn how to have a rich inner life and not count on the world to entertain him 24/7. I do want him to appreciate that life is about more than being productive and entertained. I worry that in our high tech, high stimulus, busy world that there is a genuine risk that a child will never have a chance to learn to genuinely entertain himself in his own mind.

Yes! Some of my best memories and, I think creative growth, are from hanging around on the weekends and summer afternoons with friends bored out of our skull, bored with our toys, no structured activities. Out of that lull time, we started a "3 street Newsletter" publication, wrote plays and puppet shows, etc. (Luckily, with caller ID, my children won't get creative with the telephone like we did... blush).

However, I'm pretty certain that no creative growth came out of having to sit through lessons where I already knew the material. If anything, that was stunting. I believe boredom is fine *if* you're given the freedom to go where your mind wants, KWIM?

Ok Jool, you said in very succintly, what I was trying to say in my long winded, convoluted post. Perhaps I'll attempt to condense it. You pointed out the two very different situations of *boredom* to which I referred.

Last edited by Dazed&Confuzed; 02/22/09 07:39 AM.
    No, please don't change a thing, Dazey! I appreciate what you wrote! Sometimes the journey is more important than the destination, you know?

Kriston
    LOL too late!

I am a math teacher. Estimation and measurement are important topics now. Math is no longer just addition, subtraction, multiplication... These are also tough topics that have to be developed. They usually go hand-in-hand. There is so much estimation in the workforce today - especially in computer and engineering jobs.

These are very important for science also. I am not very good at measurement - judging it. My daughter is excellent. She will even speak in metrics. I never properly developed these and had a difficult time estimating space in my computer analyzing career.

Help him by asking him how many yards "whatever" is or how many ounces or liters a drink is. Point this out as often as you can - such as a two-liter or 16-ounce container. I was better at numbers (algebra) and this hurt me in science and geometry.

Jool Offline OP
    OP Offline
    What you wrote made complete sense Dazey! I love that we can elaborate on this board and bring in details and examples of our DC's situations. Sorry, I hope it didn't seem like I was condensing what you were saying... eek In looking back at my post, I can see how my last paragraph could have appeared that way... My post was about my experience as a child - writing about my memories helps me with thinking about the right thing to do for my kids. I appreciate that I can do that on this board grin.

OH no no don't take it that way....I didn't take it that you were condensing my post, not at all lol. But on those rare moments I do have time to put 2 thoughts together, I can long winded. Especially when it comes to the topic of boredom b/c I've had to defend myself SOOOOOOOOOO many times on that subject...I guess it's a sore point lol.

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM