Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 214 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    DS5 wants to learn more about elements after seeing a zula patrol show about them. He has been asking things like "what do you get if you have 2 oxygens and one hydrogen, instead of H2O, or 6 hydrogens and a carbon?" I will have to defer to DH and get some more resources!

DS5 also wanted to know if his eyelids would grow along with the rest of him. He doesn't want them to grow - he thinks they would get in the way of his eyes.

T
    Tiz Offline
    T
    Thanks Kriston - I like your approach!

The big question tonight from DD6 was "if the earth moved faster, would time pass by faster" My response was, I think we're going to have to look that one up. Her response was "We need to find out soon, I really need to know"

T
    Tiz Offline
    T
    Oh Skylersmommy - I love that one! We are constantly having to look things up in this house.

Didn't Superman do that? I think he spun the earth backwards to reverse time.

J
    J
    Hilarious! I wish I had thought up some of these responses.

My DS16 has had the existence question on and off throughout the years. He started with the "Why am I here?" when he was around 7 and then when he was 13, he became extremely upset one day and wanted to know "Why do I exist?" He didn't find much humor when I told him to "Who else would fill my life and drive me crazy occasionally" and he insisted on a proper answer. We began exploring different religons and beliefs for this one so he could draw his own conclusion. It seemed as though he could not understand it was a question many philosophers still hold.

Another time, he asked his 1st grade teacher "Do we have seeds inside us?" after they were exploring the parts of a plant. His teacher insisted that I have the "talk" with him. I quickly explained he already knew and he was just testing you. :p

As far as how brain knows what the eye sees, there is a FANTASTIC show addressing this. There is a blind man with no eyes from birth, but he is a wonderful painter and paints w/ perspective and proportion. Scientists have been studying him since we originally thought you see with your eyes. I'll see if I can find the link to the program.

I found it! Here's the ink. The Blind Artist

Originally Posted by Dazed&Confuzed
    Didn't Superman do that? I think he spun the earth backwards to reverse time.

LOL--I was thinking more like E=mc2 and was going to explain the difference between theory and fact, but I like your thoughts on the matter.

by the way do you remember which Superman movie had that in it? Although because it doesn't have a princess, fairy, or a cute animal in it I don't know if it would hold her attention smile

I
    I
    When dd was 3.5, my grandmother died after a lengthy illness. While we did not live nearby, she and dd had spent several holidays together over the years, and with an upcoming memorial service, I knew I had to explain to her what had happened.

I sat dd down before bedtime and gave her the talk about great-grandma going to heaven, etc. etc. She looked at me with great intensity through the whole speech.

When I finished, I asked her, "Do you have any questions for Mommy?"

"Yes," DD replied, seriously.

"Go ahead," I said, "You can ask me anything."

"Mommy," she said thoughtfully, "Why do some plants grow in water?"

They're always full of questions. Just sometimes not the ones you are expecting. smile

B
    B
    I think DS9 was about 8 when he wanted to know if the world population kept growing, would the planet weigh more...

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM