Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 284 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    T
    T
    AAAAH aren't kids wonderful?! I had such a smile on my face as I read all your comments above. And I love too that you're saying "I don't know" and offering different viewpoints; it really helps your child to try and see things from others' perspectives (something some adults still can't do-!!)

Isa Offline
    Oh yes! DD5.5 started asking 'why' questions when she was 3 and she makes me feel completely stupid and ignorant...

Some examples: why do birds do not have teeth? why ducks float in the water?

Then she asked a lot about death which I usually gave very vague answers. Despite this at four she already understood that everybody dies of mostly old age, but as well of illness or injury and that this includes herself.

Most of the time she is busy with science questions. She wants to know about photosynthesis, of what is made the sand, the bread, etc.

there are some wonderful books for preKers/Kers. I can't recall the exact title, something like "Answers to those "Why do cheetahs have spots and those other questions kids ask" or something like that. Some of the books have themes like weather, human body, habitats etc.

Z
    Z
    Today my 3 y.o. asked me if Heaven was on the map he was looking at... We were in Church this morning, so I think the idea was planted, but still!

The questions just get more difficult. Yesterday, my daughter asked if a person would decompose in space. This was related to a Mars visit that would take several generations. I had never thought about it, but is the answer no? There are no natural decomposers in space such as insects, vultures, etc.

cool question! I think decomposition occurs via microbes, too, but I think moisture/temp are factors that determine speed. One I remember from a few years back- why do snakes have forked tongues? I often get these great questions in the car and finally said we have to start writing them down so we dont forget to google them!

Last edited by chris1234; 02/23/09 02:48 AM.
    Two of my favorite questions from my dd when she was a preschooler:
    After finding out I was pregnant, "If I came from your tummy, and you came from your mommy's tummy, and she had a mommy, and her mommy had a mommy, then where did the first mommy come from?"
    And another, "Dinosaurs were here before us but now they're extinct, right? So what what will be here after we're gone?"

T
    T
    Lately we get questions about food labels, "what's calcium, what's sodium, what's calories etc" Being skinny I am sure people think I am anorexic reading all the labels because why would he read them. But he does, he is anxiety prone so he is worried about what he is eating now. Anxiety is another issue.

Question of the day....

Mom, who do you suppose picked the colors? Who decided trees should be green and the sky blue?

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    L
    L
    My ten year old wants to know why we have to pay the price for people who make bad decisions.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM