Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    Ania Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Ok, went to "back to school night" yesterday. Met all the teachers. Tons of new ones, not only new to the school but new grads as well. This can go boh ways,I know. Lots of them love outdoors, that's why they came to Utah. Science teacher is from Hartford, Conn. But I immediately started worrying about English. Teacher is a young female, fairly new grad (has been subbing at this school before), this is her first official teaching job however. Seemed to be very soft, very undecided, kind of "please love me" person. Told us that daily homework will consist mainly of reading something short and writing a response paragraph (or more)relating to the text (the text can be a novel you are reading, paper, graphic novel - whatever). This immediately rings a buzzer in my head - Busy Work !!! I can see DS one month down the road flipping frantically through a paper at 11:30 at night because he did not happen to read anything today but needs to complete an assignment. I believe in writing, actually encourage my two kids to write daily in their journals, but that is different as they write knowing nobody will be reading and grading it. What do you guys think?
    But back to the real problem. When asked about the novels they are going to read, she gave me three titles, two of which DS read when he was in 3 or 4 grade. I know that he is a very good and voracious reader, I know that if you read a book when you are older you are seeing different things in it, however I think, based on mine conversation with her yesterday, that she won't be able to keep kids on subject and will allow any kind of "stupid" discussion. She looks very, very soft - -did I write that already :-) But here is a good site - she looks like she will let me ask for accomodations and will actually listen and try her best.
    What should I do? Sit back and wait to see how it unfolds? Demand much more advanced course of study, individualized, for Ghost? Anybody has any experience with self studying middle school English? Novel suggestions???
    Ania

Ania,
    Key question,
    How well accomidated is Ghost in his other classes. If this is an isolated situation, you can demand that he suppliment at home and not worry about it.

You can always change the one paragraph a day into a creative writing assignment by not actually requiring him to write about a real book.

I have to say that my own son do very poorly with folks who aren't "take charge" kind of people. I do feel for you.
    You don't say if the novels are appropriate for average 7th graders, you can find out what grade level they are assigned to by checking Amazon.com. Or you can post them here and we'll make appropriate groaning noises. ((humor alert))

It seems like this is going to be a wasted year in LA, academically, but perhaps there are other lessons that he'll learn during that time. ((shrug))

Post more and I'll wrack my brain for answers, ok?
    Love and More Love,
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    acs Offline
    Ania,
    I only know my own kid and my own situation, so this may not apply to you, but i'll share my thoughts.

I would wait to say anything. First, you do need to respect that she is in her first year and is learning the ropes. She really needs some time to get grounded in the basics of the school and to set her class mood, rhythm, and style. Letting her do that is crucial to the success of her year. Second, you do not know yet if there really is a problem. He may get a lot out of the reading and assignments. But even if he doesn't, if his other classes are more demanding, he may appreciate a little breathing room. Third, at least for my child who is in the early stages of adolescence, I think it is important for children to begin to advocate some for themselves. I began to resent my mother advocating for me by the time I was in middle school--I wanted more independence and control and this is a good place to practice those things. There is certainly room for us to look out for our kids, but I think it is time for them to become more involved in deciding what is worth fighting for and what is worth accepting. If they want to change something, I would like to see them take the first steps, even if I come in to back them up later.

When DS is having issues with a teacher at the beginning of the year, I tell him to do his best work and hang in there of a month. The first month of school can be pretty chaotic and I like to give the teacher some time to get settled in. Sometimes the teacher makes adjustments by the end of the first month without us needing to say anything. Other times DS implies to the teacher that he would like harder work, and gets it. Other times we just decide the problem wasn't as big as we thought it was.

Also, what does Ghost think about all this?

Great Advice ACS!
    I'll bet it works well.
    So you'd but Ania more in the role of consultant?
    "Hum, Ghost, you've got a bit of a problem there, do you have any idea on how to solve it? Let's brainstorm...."
    I always enjoy reading that book "I can problem solve" - but have to do it very subtly - the compacted version. At least it puts me in the mood!

Trin

Ania Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanx for all the advice guys.
    When I am reading your responses and re-reading my post I am beginning to think that I am probably overreacting. Probably :-)
    Also, what does Ghost think about all this?
    Ghost started school today so I will know more in a few days, but his initial reaction was a comment that this teacher is too soft and kids will be doing nothing in this class. I will keep my eyes open for his casual commentaries as we ride back from school each day.
    Key question,
    How well accomodated is Ghost in his other classes
    He will be doing Algebra 2, but as far as science he is going to be in a regular seventh grade classroom. Teacher is new, so we will see how interesting this class will be for my DS. He is in regular 7th grade class for all the subjects but math but te kids are supposed to be clustered according to ability. At lest last year English and Science were like that. We will wait and see.
    Ania

I've noticed that there is plenty of "unofficial" clustering going around - perhaps there is an advanced Math class, and then many of those kids show up in each other's classes due to "scheduling purposes." I'm glad you school clusters intentionally - it's needed! Keep us posted, and keep looking for options.

I recently saw a post for an organization, http://www.writeguide.com/
    that helps homeschooler's "do writing." Perhaps if the teacher isn't going to do enough for your son, you can take advantage of your excellent history of him having to do "more" and have him do a program like this.

Smiles,
    Trin

Ania Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Trinity, thanx for the link. I will research more and if we decide to try it we will keep you posted.
    The three books Ghost is going to read are: The Watsons Go to Birmingham, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and After the Dancing Days. He has read the first two.
    If the school would allow for partial enrollment I am sure at this point that I would home school part time. Both of the kids would benefit. But there is a big no from school in regards to that.

Ania Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Dear parents of 7 th graders:
    What do your children do in 7th grade English class this year?
    Ania

So Glad you Asked Ania -
    Over the Summer it was Avi, now we are on to a play version of "The Diary of Anne Frank" with him writing a journal type entry.
    Susan Cooper "Dark is Rising" - I guess they will be looking for symbolism, I hope.
    "The Giver" - excellent but he read it years ago.
    "Call of the Wild"
    "Jacob Have I Loved"

At home he's been tearing through "The Lightening Thief" and it's sequals.

Enjoy,
    Robin

Ania Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Trin,
    Are they covering any grammar, spelling, vocabulary?
    Or does it all end in 6th grade?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM