Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    Thanks for the reassuring words, Arminius. If you don't mind my asking...did you give your parents trouble in other ways? Generally defiant and/or stubborn? Or was it just a handwriting issue?

I'm still not sure if his problem is a pencil grip/handwriting problem that can be eased by teaching him to type. He seems to hate typing just as much. It seems like a psychological fear triggered by the sight of a blank page (or screen)...

In the mean time, I am despondent over this child. As I feared, it gets a little worse each day...I feel angry at him all the time, but I know I shouldn't, because on a very real level it isn't his fault, so I suppress the anger-- and the result is that I am slipping into a depression and today had a full-blown panic attack.

You are all describing brilliant children who need acceleration... I have a brilliant child who can hardly get through the day, does shoddy work, and fights a losing battle to control himself.

It's extra frustrating right now, because I saw something that worked-- a particular antibiotic-- but I could not leave him on it, so I've had to watch this all come back again and again...

It feels like that story, Flowers for Algernon...

Horrible.

oh hugs bronxmom. I'm so sorry. WHy couldn't you leave him on that antibiotic? Is he not able to clear the strep from his system? He is not getting continually re-infected is he? A friend whose DD developed OCD after going to school, swore it was the water fountains causing the recurrent strep.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Apparently, the spectrum of microbes it attacks is too broad. I guess he'll run a huge risk of developing a resistant superinfection later. Obviously I don't want that.

I just wish they would put a little effort into figuring out just WHAT infection he really does have and whether there's a narrower antibiotic that will work, since it's tearing our household apart.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Also, does anyone have any advice for me on how to be more aggressive in getting better medical help for my son?

bronxie have you found an internet support group for the Pandas? that is step 1 when is your appointment? i would also like to see you get a daily vent time - phone, blogging, journalling whatever works for you but it must be regular....... love and more lv, grimity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    http://www.pedrheumonlinejournal.org/April/reviewarti.htm

this stuff is confusing! Sounds like a very new method for identifying a syndrome, hopefully you will have good luck with getting some better treatment, but I would recommend digging around - doing research on your own.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    I guess I am just accepting what a long-term thing I'm looking at...thanks for the article...

M
    M
    I am not knowledgable in this area at all but I am wondering, is there a way to test for what microbe his is infected with? We test for infections on the skin, in the blood, on mucous membranes and in secretions you think they could figure it out. Someone please enlighten me, I'm sure I am missing something.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    J
    J
    bronxmom- my son was diagnosed by a pediatric neurologist. He worked with another specialized ped neurologist. His tests were very thorough, since my son had had a gran mal seizure, and they were looking for a pattern for the onset from past ones.

I don't know if it helps, but at the time, pediatric neurologists were the only ones who could diagnose PANDAS. Maybe if you go to one, they would be more knowledgeable and help more. They also might be available. We have to now go only every six months for follow ups.

BTW, did you know there is a vaccine they are working on for strep throat? The last I heard it was being tried on a specific sample population. It will keep these guys from prophylactic doses of antibiotics. We hold out hope then that it will be overcome someday.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    How is your son doing now? Is he taking prophylactic antibiotics? Which one?
    What is the prognosis of PANDAS kids into adulthood?

I guess I should ask my pediatrician for a referral to a pediatric neurologist. My pediatrician does not seem to understand the agony that I am going through.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM