Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 152 guests, and 7 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    D
    D
    I agree. Although it does seem to me that the worst broke companies get the bailouts while more fiscally responsible, better managed companies experiencing set-backs from the recession are ignored.

In my experience, criticism of CEO salaries has been prevalent in social gatherings for years though. I can see both sides to the argument, believing people with the necessary skill sets are rare, but many do seem overly materialistic.

I agree, delbows, but I'm sorry to have taken us on a tangent with my confusion. blush

We return you now to your regularly scheduled thread...

Kriston
    E
    E
    Kriston,
    DS is in the position of being one of those trailblazers. His school is trying things with him that they haven't done before. It is alot of pressure on DS since he is aware that they are doing different things for him. He is also not the best candidate to be a guinea pig due to his 2E issues. In fact, earlier this week, DS was asking me why he got to go to 5th grade math but his friends didn't when he is sure the could do better than him. It was hard trying to explain that while he was probably right that his friends might be able to handle the subject skip, the school had their own reasons for letting him try it first.
    It doesn't help that DS is struggling with math for the first time in his life. He gets all the concepts easily but since he refuses to double check or show his work, he is making lots of preventable errors. I worry that if he doesn't keep a high A average that he will hurt the chances of future students to get the skips that they may need. However, his Math teacher thinks that he will self correct with a couple lower scores and hopefully learn a good lesson. I guess only time will tell at this point.

It sounds like the teacher has the right idea. She's thinking about your son, not treating him as an indicator for all GT kids, and she's not expecting/demanding perfection. That's all good! I'm optimistic for your DS. smile

It's just that it's stereotyping, really, to judge ALL kids by what happened with one, you know? So much for treating them as individuals...

Kriston
    E
    E
    Oh, I adore his Math teacher smile She is really down to earth and one of the only teachers I've found that truly differentiates for her students according their individual needs. The goood news if if we stay in the district next term, he will have her full days for all subjects smile

However, I am concerned that if DS doesn't continue to handle his self paced math well, that the administration will not consider it for future students. I completly agree with you about the stereotyping issue. Especially, since DS has an IEP for an undefined LD.

And you have enough to worry about with your own child. You shouldn't have to worry about his being some sort of emblematic figure.

If a child happens to make things easier for those who follow, great. But the relative success or "failure" of one child shouldn't make or break policy. frown

Kriston
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM