Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 264 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    In the usual way of "post your problem to the internet and it will go away", those boys were on the bus again today but took no notice of us. Long may that continue! Thanks to everyone for your input.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    Well, play it out if you said something. What would happen? Do you fear that it will escalate to physical violence? Or are you just afraid that they won't care that you said something to them?
    No, I'm afraid that they *will* care, in that they'll be pleased that what they're trying to do - upset us both - has succeeded. I think that as a result they'd do it more and for longer.

That was my experience when I or anyone else tried to stand up for me, and I'm afraid that both here and on another forum where I asked for advice, everyone who's ever had this happen to them has said Ignore. Various people have said "say something" on principle, but nobody (yet!) has said "it happened to me, or to my child, and someone said something and it stopped".

I find that there is a particular 'look' worth learning how to make, as if something small and squirmy just crawled out of your neighbor's sandwich. I'm thinking head cocked, eyes squinty, mouth disgusted. Instead of saying 'something' - perhaps a well placed 'look' might do the trick.

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    In the usual way of "post your problem to the internet and it will go away", those boys were on the bus again today but took no notice of us. Long may that continue! Thanks to everyone for your input.

Wow! Glad to hear it! Awesome!

Originally Posted by Kriston
    Well, when I was a child, I regularly stood up for people being bullied, and the bullying stopped. Now, I was a child at the time, and of course you aren't. That certainly changes the dynamic. But in response to your question, yes, I can say for sure that "This happened, I said something, and it stopped." *Many* times!

By the time I was 7 or 8, I'd say, pretty much everyone in the school knew that I would put a stop to any bullying that I saw, and I didn't care what the bullies thought of me or said about me. I was never in a fight of any sort either. People just stopped because I told them that what they were doing was mean and I wouldn't allow it to continue. I used the threat of telling the teacher, but I very rarely had to actually do it.

Go Kriston! Yippee!
    Just hearing that you were standing up where you were comforts me in retrospect.
    Smiles,
    Grinity

Originally Posted by Grinity
    I find that there is a particular 'look' worth learning how to make, as if something small and squirmy just crawled out of your neighbor's sandwich. I'm thinking head cocked, eyes squinty, mouth disgusted. Instead of saying 'something' - perhaps a well placed 'look' might do the trick.

Yes! This is just the sort of thing! Good one, Grinity!

You remind me that I do usually give "the look" first, and I only resort to saying something if it doesn't work. But usually the look is all it takes.

Kriston
    I get boys in here all the time that think they're tough and delight in making the other kids uncomfortable. Problem is, it doesn't work here. My kids are all immune. They have their own stories and could care less.

With most boys this age, I've found that if they can't intimidate you, they give up. If it was me I'd comment on their lack of manners and how big they must feel picking on a little kid. Make them feel like idiots. But like Kriston, i'm not known for keeping my mouth shut!

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students