Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Isa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I have been trying Aleks for a couple of hours and I understand now why is so popular...
    However, the spanish translation is not very good yet and besides I think DD needs to be a little bit more independent to use it - in fact she should be able to read at least Spanish, English better (because of the errors in the Spanish version). So.... not for the time being although in the future it is worth considering.

Has anybody used mathletics? Hows does it compare to Aleks? They do not offer a free trial for parents frown
    Now apparently Mathletics host Rainforestmaths which DD knows and she has been asking me to do it again, but I am not certain if I want to pay 99 sterling pounds for it ....

So, has anybody used both mathletics and Aleks and can tell me how they do compare?

LOL Isa, It's the Pie!

Aleks didn't help DS understand any Math, but it was great for showing me what he does and doesn't know, what to learn next, inspiring him to 'really check before he answers' and those lovely pie charts are so yummy.

We used to keep 'homework helper.com' open on a different page, and if we got to something I couldn't explain, then I'd read the directions in homework helper and teach him. Before Aleks, I couldn't teach him anything, after Aleks he got the idea that 'yes, it isn't shameful to learn something from someone else.'

Haven't used Mathletics, but call them or email them and ask for a free trial, and they Might say yes!

Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    J
    J
    Hey Isa. I use mathletics, but haven't looked at Aleks or rainforest maths so I'm not much good at comparisons but here's what I know about mathletics.

Miss 7.5 year old is primarily motivated by her mathlete character. I find it good for reinforcement, consolidation and mental maths (using the live mathletics feature). I don't let Miss 7 or Miss 4 play the additional games and they haven't worked out that they exist to date. Each exercise is normally 10 sums/equations, etc. Sometimes I feel that Miss 7 finds the pattern really easily but doesn't understand the concept. As an example, you can whiz thru converting centimetres to metres easily if you're given 10 similar examples in a row. But the next day, I wonder how much she's retained?

It's good for goal oriented kids. You can set them a goal of 1000 points a week (which is quite do-able) as homework. This works pretty well for Miss 7. I like that it is one of the few things that Miss 7 can do independently (although this has taken a while to get going). I can now tell her which exercises she has to do before she plays around with her mathlete character. Surprisingly, it works!

You can only change the levels 6 times in one year, so the subscription can't be shared among siblings. We've never "run out" of change levels but I can imagine that some PG kids might (?)

I like it (although I'm not such a fan of spellodrome - their spelling counterpart). We've used it for 2 years now and I think we'll continue for another...

jojo

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM