Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 228 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Isa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks a lot for the support - I needed it !

I have been talking to DD. Apparently she is very frustrated because she reads very slowly and cannot finish any book during her reading time.

So I told her that because she finds it difficult she does not want to try and becomes frustrated, then it becomes more and more difficult... I told her as well that she has too look at what she CAN do. One page? Ok, then next time, one page and half, next time a little bit more...
    I remind her that a few months ago she could spell at all and now she is a champion.

I got her as well some very nice but very easy books to read and we read them together. She actually start recognizing some words and read them, which made her very happy.

She has told me as well which wall in her room is for the Spanish words and which one is for the Dutch words.

Before we read those books she told me that 'maybe she should be in Kindergarten'... I have the impression that she has the impostor syndrome.

I wonder if I should look for professional help.

It is really a pity that I cannot even apply to the Davidson Institute frown
    (it is only for US residents).

Originally Posted by Isa
    It seems that the children read twice a week by pairs, first one reads and the other follows and vice versa and DD is simply not interested in reading.

This reminds me of the days I would get little notes from the teacher that DS had acted out at school. They always seemed to come on days when the children would exchange work with the child next to them to grade each other's work. Who thought that this was a good idea? On one occasion, a little girl wrote on DS's paper: Very Messy - You write like a Baby.

OK it was 2nd grade, so tact isn't fully developed, but it didn't encourage DS to work on his handwriting, just to 'give up' and 'avoid.'

From what I remember, perfectionism is an issue for your DD, I can't imagine her wanting to read aloud with an agemate if she is less good that what she considers good. Perhaps to ask her what she thinks a 1st grader should be able to do when reading aloud.

I am happy that the school is on your side. Perhaps they can find a regional resource for HG kids and call in some help? Would they conside looking internationally for an expert to consult? I am also happy that there is some progress, and that the word wall is motivating for her. My feeling is that she will probably 'blossom' very soon. Keep telling her the story of the Bamboo tree that grows a very strong root system for three years and then shoots up 30 feet tall. Perhaps it is even time to explain that bilingual (+) kids are growing a stronger root system than single-language kids, and that soon she will have what my son calls 'Mad Skills' and be able to read in so many languages!

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Originally Posted by st pauli girl
    I personally would think learning Dutch would be very hard - the only thing i can remember from vacation last year was "biesluk" (chives), and i'm sure i've got that wrong.

A totally irrelevant sidenote: I spent a month in the Netherlands with my then-boyfriend who was on a Fulbright there. All the Dutch I learned was from watching American soap operas in English with Dutch subtitles. I couldn't say anything, but I could read things like "I hate you!" and "It's not your baby!" really, really well!

smile

Oh, and I learned my numbers from the sex chat line commercials that were on all the time. They said the phone numbers over and over while they showed the numbers. Very educational!

Kriston
    LOL! And I'll bet curses sound really good in Dutch. Not quite as good as German, perhaps, but still really gutteral and heartfelt!

Kriston
    My sister and I learned both French and German, so we always used to say that if French is the language of love, then German is the language of phlegm. grin

Kriston
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    My sister and I learned both French and German, so we always used to say that if French is the language of love, then German is the language of phlegm. grin

Acht! What does that make Hebrew? grin

Hmmm... Good question! Any ideas?

Kriston
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM