Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 166 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I liked this article about teasing apart the difference between ADHD and Giftedness -
    http://www.borntoexplore.org/gifted.htm
    I hope you like it also.
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    E
    E
    I really appreciated the posted article. After all the evaluations that we have done, I find it hard to fight the ADHD diagnosis, however, I still don't believe in my heart that ADHD is the issue. The more I read about early onset Bi-polar, the more confused I get. While he fits the moody aspect, he doesn't fit the uncontrolled behaviors most of the time. So maybe I fall back to the trying to provide a better education fit before trying to solve the emotional issues...
    Thanks again

Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    We've seem a lot of emotional "maturity" since resolving the educational fit issue. I would go so far as to say that it's impossible to evaluate ADHD or emotional disorders when the educational fit is bad. But I'm not an expert, it's just my "Mom-on Sense."

I like this book for the parenting end of "hard to handle kids"
    http://www.explosivechild.com/
    http://www.explosivechild.com/books/index.html

Chronically inflexible! That term makes me smile. I think this world needs more kids and adults who are chronically inflexible on the inside, and have the skills to manage it on the outside.

It's so easy to get confused. That's why I say, stick with what you know for sure, and can fix, for a start.

HTH,
    Trinity

P
    P
    Wow! This describes my 6-year-old perfectly! She is SO distracted at school. She has horrible handwriting and erases a lot which makes her work harder to read. (She erases to rewrite something that doesn't please her, not because it's wrong.) She's bringing home papers that are either perfect or riddled with careless mistakes due to lack of effort. Also, she's getting in trouble a lot more at school, which is something that didn't happen in 4K or 5K. When I ask her about her work, she just says that she already knows how to do it because she did it last year. I just asked my husband this morning if we should have her tested for the gifted program. I guess the answer is yes, huh?

Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hi Pink,
    Oh yes, I think females in particular, and ones who are showing signs of perfectionism in double particular really really need to be consistiently challenged academically. How would any of us feel to be in a parenting class for 6 hours a day that 'taught' us things like - "Children are much smaller than Adults." and "It is important to feed your children." but never went into any more detail, KWIM?

What kind of gifted program is it? Have you checked out Ruf's link to find out what level of gifted your daughter might be?

Best Wishes,
    Trinity

P
    P
    Hi, Trinity.
    The program is a pull-out program in grades 3-5. They no longer pull kids out in grades 1-2. Enrichment is provided in the classroom. I checked out Ruf's link, and I would guess she's a level 3. She's never taken an IQ test, though.

I talked to her teacher yesterday, and she agreed that she should be evaluated for GATE. She said that she is a high achiever in all areas, but particularly in math. Overall, it was a very positive conversation.

Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Yippee!!
    Sounds like the school is on top of things. My son is level III also, I think, but I didn't keep track of those milestones with dates - ((pout))

When you say "pull - out" program - I think of a few questions -
    1) how many hours a week?
    2) multi grade or single grade?
    3) does the pullout teacher help the classroom teacher jazz up the homeroom teachers assignments? (Differentiation?)
    4) Are the kids required to do the work that is missed when they go out for their pullout? Just skipping it is good - a kind of compacting. Do teachers use the time wisely for review and helping kids who need it - or do they plan parties and special hands on learning events? Is it up to the teacher or does the school have policy on this?

From what I have overheard, A pull out program can range from a life saver to useless. Usually the level IIs and the few Level I's who get into them really get a lot out of them. Usually they drive Level IIIs up the wall, unless the Level III is a year or two or three younger than the children in the room or if the teachers are working together to extend the experience outside of the pullout hours, both is better. Our school doesnt' have a pull out anymore.

Bottom Line:
    If the school isn't planning to do an individual IQ test, I would schedual one, not locally, now.
    Best Wishes,
    Trinity

P
    P
    Hi again!

I went to a GATE informational meeting a few weeks ago, so I can answer some of these questions.

1. For 3rd graders, I think it's 4 hours a week.
    2. I don't think it's multi-grade, but I could be wrong.
    3. Yes.
    4. I'm not sure about this one. I'll need to ask.

My third grade daughter (not the one I've been talking about here) has been referred for screening by her teacher. Her teacher says that DD8 really needs the pull-out program because she's having trouble challenging her in class. DD8 was screened last year but did not do well on the NNAT group screener. She took an individual NNAT screener on Wednesday, and she was very confident about it this time. I hope that's a good sign.

So, you would suggest private testing for DD6 (the one we've been talking about)? The school administers an individual IQ test only if a student scores 14-16 points on the matrix and requires further evaluation. A student can score the required 17 points without ever taking an individual IQ test. My husband and I actually considered private testing last year for DD8 after she didn't pass screening. We felt that her score didn't reflect her true ability (particularly since she's highly verbal). The state of AL now only accepts private testing on a referral basis. A privately administered IQ test cannot be used to determine eligibility for gifted services. Screwy, huh? Is it still worth the money, though?

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM