Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links
DITD Logo

Learn about the Davidson Academy’s online campus for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S.

The Davidson Institute for Talent Development is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Davidson Fellows Scholarship
  • Davidson Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute
  • DITD FaceBook   DITD Twitter   DITD YouTube
    The Davidson Institute is on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How gifted-friendly is
    your state?

Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update

Who's Online
    1 registered (Kai), 0 Guests and 268 Spiders online.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    cmh, bethanyc3, SageC, AmandaParkinson, yp44
    10657 Registered Users
    December
    Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    8 9 10 11 12 13 14
    15 16 17 18 19 20 21
    22 23 24 25 26 27 28
    29 30 31
    Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
    Topic Options
    #91838 - 12/31/10 01:21 PM Re: 2e: Twice-Exceptional Newsletter blog [Re: jbystrom]
    aculady Offline

jbystrom,

The RIAS (Reynolds Intellectual Assessment Scales) is an IQ test designed to assess both verbal and non-verbal intelligence in a form that does not depend on reading, motor skills, or social comprehension (and therefore is more appropriate for students with dyslexia, dysgraphia or motor deficits, and some autism spectrum disorders than tests like the WISC-IV or SB-5) and that is not racially or gender biased. It is individually administered, but only takes about 30 minutes to administer.

It may be something for the district to consider.

Edited by aculady (12/31/10 09:29 PM)
    Edit Reason: to make it clearer who the post was responding to

#94664 - 02/13/11 08:34 PM Re: 2e: Twice-Exceptional Newsletter blog [Re: Mark D.]
    Marjji Offline

Hello - I too feel as though I have struck gold here ..a wealth of information and strategies. I am parent of a young 2E and we have just completed/survived the process of diagnosis/identification. Doctors, therapists A+. Navigating education has left me with a very cold feeling. Kindergarten next fall..

#112189 - 09/21/11 02:39 AM Re: 2e: Twice-Exceptional Newsletter blog [Re: Mark D.]
    Aguest Offline

I'm glad they have a name for this now. When I was a kid, it was assumed, that if the results of LD testing revealed impairment in one area, and superiority in another, it meant the child had but a mild deficit and was very lazy. I'm glad these kids can have their abilities nurtured, instead of..oh I don't know, told they are mentally inferior, alienated, and berated by their families every day. You are good parents on here to seek information to better your child, because these kids don't always turn out alright. It can take a long time to mature and thrive intellectually once one is stripped of their self confidence. p.s. I'm really not bitter, I was a seriously annoying child smile

#161062 - 06/26/13 12:35 PM Re: 2e: Twice-Exceptional Newsletter blog [Re: Mark D.]
    jmbystrom Offline

Thanks Mark! I appreciated your reply to my questions - look forward to getting contact information for the Gold program in Vancouver and any other contact you may think helpful.

#188780 - 04/18/14 10:42 AM Re: 2e: Twice-Exceptional Newsletter blog [Re: CajunTiger]
    CWG Offline

Great article , and thanks so much for posting. I am the father of a twice exceptional child here in NYC, and I was wondering if you knew of any resources , research, articles , seminars etc, that dealt specifically with African American children who are twice exceptional. My son`s school is an extremely accelerated one , and he is doing well but I am always waiting for the other shoe to drop as it were, because his environment is not a diverse one.

Thanks again for offering this resource.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  M-Moderator 
    Recent Posts
    undergrad degree variability
    by Kai
    38 minutes 30 seconds ago
    SAT scores, Intelligence and Achievement
    by Bostonian
    Yesterday at 01:37 PM
    Binet LM
    by aeh
    Yesterday at 12:33 PM