Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 214 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    A
    A
    jbystrom,

The RIAS (Reynolds Intellectual Assessment Scales) is an IQ test designed to assess both verbal and non-verbal intelligence in a form that does not depend on reading, motor skills, or social comprehension (and therefore is more appropriate for students with dyslexia, dysgraphia or motor deficits, and some autism spectrum disorders than tests like the WISC-IV or SB-5) and that is not racially or gender biased. It is individually administered, but only takes about 30 minutes to administer.

It may be something for the district to consider.

Last edited by aculady; 12/31/10 10:29 PM. Reason: to make it clearer who the post was responding to
    Hello - I too feel as though I have struck gold here ..a wealth of information and strategies. I am parent of a young 2E and we have just completed/survived the process of diagnosis/identification. Doctors, therapists A+. Navigating education has left me with a very cold feeling. Kindergarten next fall..

A
    A
    I'm glad they have a name for this now. When I was a kid, it was assumed, that if the results of LD testing revealed impairment in one area, and superiority in another, it meant the child had but a mild deficit and was very lazy. I'm glad these kids can have their abilities nurtured, instead of..oh I don't know, told they are mentally inferior, alienated, and berated by their families every day. You are good parents on here to seek information to better your child, because these kids don't always turn out alright. It can take a long time to mature and thrive intellectually once one is stripped of their self confidence. p.s. I'm really not bitter, I was a seriously annoying child smile

J
    J
    Thanks Mark! I appreciated your reply to my questions - look forward to getting contact information for the Gold program in Vancouver and any other contact you may think helpful.

C
    CWG Offline
    C
    Great article , and thanks so much for posting. I am the father of a twice exceptional child here in NYC, and I was wondering if you knew of any resources , research, articles , seminars etc, that dealt specifically with African American children who are twice exceptional. My son`s school is an extremely accelerated one , and he is doing well but I am always waiting for the other shoe to drop as it were, because his environment is not a diverse one.

Thanks again for offering this resource.

I
    I
    Because this is a sticky thread, many people may continue to read it over time.

Here is an update -

As of 2018, the 2e newsletter has split and become two different resources, as described at this link:
    1- The 2e Resource - https://2eresource.com/
    2- 2e News - https://www.2enews.com/

Other resources which may be of interest to families with twice-exceptional members:
    1- wrightslaw - https://www.wrightslaw.com/
    2- understood - https://www.understood.org/

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM