Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #36186 01/26/09 06:16 AM
    Isa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    This time with Mrs Teacher and Mrs. Support Teacher and maybe MRs Assistant Teacher.

We will discuss the reading and I will tell them your suggestion of putting sight words in her room as a motivator.

We will suggest as well that DD uses rainforestmaths in the classroom, even if it is in English and to teach her next year curriculum anyway, since at home she is already doing multiplications!

I want to ask them about enrichment in other areas, like natural or social sciences.

They are quite willing to meet DD's needs, only no experience whatsoever with HG+ children, combined with the typical Dutch fear of 'pushing' children too much. If you think that regular US curriculum/standards are low, you should see the Dutch ones for the primary schools.

Anyway, wish us luck!

I hope it goes well, Isa!

For me, GT means Georgia Tech.
    Good luck Isa! Keep us posted...

Isa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Sooooo..... I have mixed feelings about the meeting.
    The very good thing is that they are more than willing to meet DD's needs.
    The not so good thing is that they confessed that they are quite lost with her and realize that they are not getting the full potential out of her.

About reading: I told the idea of the words in the wall and they thought it was an excellent idea. We will communicate regularly about the Dutch ones.

It seems that the children read twice a week by pairs, first one reads and the other follows and vice versa and DD is simply not interested in reading.

As well, last week they had sort of a test, kind of 'comprehension/discrimination' test in which they are shown three pictures and have to pick up the right one from a question. The questions were VERY easy, like a bird besides a next, a bird feeding the little ones and a bird sitting on the nest and they were asked in which picture they see a bird nesting.
    Well, guess what; DD did lest than optimal in the test. Why? Is it that she understands less Dutch than she wants to admit? (she claims that she understands everything) Or she found it boring and did not put attention? Teacher says that she looked as trying her best, very concentrated.... was she? or was she with her mind in Ponyland or Narnia or who knows where?

Maths: she will be given end of the year exercises and next year ones. I told them about rainforestmaths and they look very interested. The fact that was in English did not seem to bother them. I only hope that it will not take months before DD is allowed to 'play' at the classroom.

At home, I asked DD why she did not want to read with other children. Her answer: because I do not want to learn Dutch. I do not like 1st grade, it is all too easy and I am bored.
    She looked quite distressed about it frown

I told her that she needs to read before she can do more interesting things but she looked unconvinced...

Isa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Tonight I asked DD again about the school. She bursted into tears and she told me: 'I do not like first grade, I do not do anything right but it is all very boring. I want to stay at home and learn with you.'

I told her that unfortunately, homeschool is not an option in this country frown

I am not certain if I did right, but I told her as well, that if she does the effort to learn to read in Dutch I can advocate for her to be put in second grade, otherwise she is stuck in first grade. She looked half stressed out, half hopeful. I told her to sleep now and tomorrow when we are well rested we talked about the issue.

I knew she was getting bored, but I did not realize how bad it is.... frown

Oh, I'm so sorry, Isa! {{{Hugs}}} I hope things improve for her!

Kriston
    Isa, that's tough. I am sorry you find yourself stuck in that spot. I hope she is able to learn Dutch and move on. Have you considered trying Rosetta Stone? DS6 likes the format (he was intrigued when I was using it, so I let him jump in ...) it is just mouse clicking, reading, listening, and talking. (We didn't do Dutch, so I don't know about that.

Best!

sorry..I misunderstood. I was thinking your DD didn't know Dutch, but she knows it and just can't read it. (The Rosetta Stone software might make some sight words easier, like girl, boy, car, etc. - I dunno what those words are in Dutch).

Sorry again for the useless post, and best of luck to your DD.

Last edited by momofgtboys; 01/27/09 10:25 PM. Reason: Mistake

For me, GT means Georgia Tech.
    Too bad there isn't an underground homeschool railroad for dutch children who hate school. frown

I
    I
    Will the teachers let you go in and work with DD? It could be like homeschooling in school.

I don't have much to add, but just wanted to say i'm sorry too. Sending e-hugs to you and your DD.

I personally would think learning Dutch would be very hard - the only thing i can remember from vacation last year was "biesluk" (chives), and i'm sure i've got that wrong. but there is hope in her half-hopeful look, and I'll add my good wishes from across the globe.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM