Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #35529 01/19/09 10:39 PM
    OP Offline
    Lately dd has been asking me to define any word that she does not understand. So, no problem because the only words she does not understand are words in her books or words that I am speaking to her. The only thing that has been bugging me is that my voabulary is fairly limited...I read a lot, but I just know i only have a relatively small vocabulry. I feel like I am going to hinder dd's growing vocabulary because she is only learning words from me (or dh) and from her books. Her books are children's books so there are not many words she doesn't understand in them. She asks for one or two definitions per day and she really does understand everything we say (except for those couple of words). She uses almost the same language that dh and I use...she is just really into words these days and I want to encourage her in that interest.

I know this is kind of a weird question, and I am not really sure how to word it...I guess I just feel that she deserves and wants a challenge but I am not sure how to offer it to her. We do go to the library, but most of the books that interest her are kids books. Actually she loves our book about local birds...maybe I could find some other animal books and she could learn come animal vocab, although I was more thinkign in terms of everyday language.

hmm not too clear I know...sorry I'm tired!

There are books about origins of words that can be really fun for verbal kids. I'll see if I can find titles--never my strong suit!

But the best way I know to expand one's vocabulary is just to read and read some more. I think you're dong fine!

Kriston
    OP Offline
    thanks...if you think of any titles that would be great! I wonder if there are childrens books, either for them to read or to be read to them, that have a higher reading level. Her interest level is still at a toddler level, for the most part, but her interest in words is probably a bit higher.

I often played word games with my verbal kids.

One we all enjoyed: we'd name a letter of the alphabet and then say every word we could think of that started with it. I started this when DS7 was about a year old and was obsessed with letter puzzles. I played the game by myself with whatever letter he was holding to keep me from dying of boredom, since he played those puzzles for HOURS every day. As he got older, he just started joining in.

The trick is to stretch yourself. Reach for hard words. Don't just say "jump" and "juggle" for the letter j, say "jovial" and "jocund." (Or whatever) Bonus points for words that sound funny and make your child laugh. smile

Don't feel like you have to know the meanings of all the words. Keep the dictionary handy and look stuff up. Great modeling!

In fact, just take the dictionary out and flip through it with her, reading new words. Dictionaries and encyclopedias are gold mines for GT kids! Especially the verbal ones!

As she gets older, you might try the last letter game (or maybe you could adapt it to make it easier for a toddler). You start with an "a" word like "apple." That ends in "e," so I'd say "esoteric," which ends in "c" so you'd say "colloquial," and so on. Es and Ys get hard fast, so use them sparingly unless you want to stick it to someone. Great for car trips!

Kriston
    You can try online vocab builders, such as
    http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/web_games_vocab.htm
    and
    free rice

Look under SAT Vocabulary.

or go to Amazon and buy 'vocab textbooks'

also - they have these great SAT prep books' with definitions of the difficult words in a margin at the bottom - classics.

I think a lot of the materials from 'Sparknotes' and other study aids would come in hand with these little ones, because they are simple and complicated at the same time. Bookstores around here have full bookshelfs of this stuff.

I think that this happened at our house, I have a terrific receptive vocab, but trained myself not to use 'big words' in High School, and kept along that track. Now I think that DS has missed that opportunity. He did learn the word 'Ambivalent' at age 3, and that come in very handy.

See if you can get your DH involved, because I think the best way for these kids to learn vocab, is to overhear it in use.

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    If you're looking for good vocabulary in books, some of the older children's books (older books that is, not necessarily older children!) are excellent. I don't remember now how old your DD is, but pretty early on, DS enjoyed hearing Mrs. Piggle Wiggle stories, some Roald Dahl, and Edith Nesbit stories. At least by the time he was three I think (although somewhere between three and four there was a "gap" where he didn't want to listen to anything he couldn't read himself, but we got back to them as soon as he was a pretty good reader).

If she really likes animal stories, there are kids' books of James Herriot stories (I think just short excerpts rather than adaptations, but I'm not sure), and Bill Peet is another good animal-story author. smile

Erica
    Ds has enjoyed this dictionary - lots of good comics but it is a regular full dictionary with 10,000 definitions, etc.
    http://www.amazon.com/Merriam-Webster-Garfield-Dictionary-Merriam-Webster/dp/0613238079

I agree that the most important thing is just to read a lot - and when your DD asks a question about words take them seriously and make it fun. We sometimes even take the opportunity to open up a dictionary (whether you actually know the definition or not). It gives the child a sense that the questions are important and that there's a standard way of finding out the answer.

Word games are really fun too. Our DS4.5 still loves a game that sort of evolved when he was around 2. It's a kind of call and response game that's often starts out rhyming words - time, rhyme, slime, and so on - and then sometimes morphs because of semantic relations - from slime to green, gooey, gum, chewy. Nobody quite knows what the rules are, but it's always obvious when someone makes a great move!

In short, though, it sounds like you're doing great!

BB

M
    M
    I love this Board!
    I've played verbal games with the kids for several years starting at about 18months. DS8 still loves to play but its evolved into 20 questions or the as he calls it, the 'guessing game.' (person, place or thing, animal, vegetable or mineral, etc). We played these games on short trips, long trips, waiting at restaurants, doctors offices, etc. The games encompass not only vocab but math or spelling too. They love to spell words - each at their own level (DD5, DS8).

One that might assist with vocab is what we call the synonym game. Name something and they try to come up with all the synonyms for it. Take the object - "shoes" and then all kinds of things can be said - sandals, boots, sneakers, galoshes, etc. Be flexible. Have fun and enjoy this special time with your kids.

A children's dictionary could prove useful. If pressed for a definition, you could model for her (as someone else posted) and look it up to obtain the definition. If you know of similar words, introduce her to those.

Finally, a great show on PBS is WordGirl which introduces some nice vocabulary. We searched high and low for a Wordgirl halloween costume this year, to no avail. Next time, if DD is still into it, we'll make one, I guess.

HTH and keep up the interactions with your DD.

Again, I love this Board!!! So nice to hear stories of other parents interacting in similar fashion. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but I just don't get how parents can "plug in" their child to DVDs/Videos on long trips instead of enjoyng the time together for at least a portion of the trip.

I'll second the wordgirl show. Here's a link to some games: Word Girl Games on PBSkids.org

Also, pinky dinky doo is a kids show that introduces more vocab: Pinky Dinky Doo on noggin.com There are games at that site too.

We just discovered Kriston's game on Scrooge musical adaptation of the Christmas Carol. They called it "The Minister's Cat" and it is played by going from person to person, starting with the letter a. 1st person: The minister's cat is an angry cat. 2nd: The minister's cat is an awful cat. 3rd: The minister's cat is alley cat. Then if you can't think of one, that person is out and you move to the next letter. (In our version, we just move on to the next letter without anyone being "out.") Here's a better description: The Minister's Cat Parlour Game

I think if you just keep reading, you'll get more variety in vocabulary. Jan Brett's books for kids sometimes have more interesting vocab. The older versions of fairy tales have very colorful vocab. Good luck!

Last edited by st pauli girl; 01/20/09 07:49 AM. Reason: wrong movie reference
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM