Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 195 guests, and 32 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Grinity, that is wonderful! yay! Thank you Grinity for sharing your big big successes!

And thank you for resurrecting this post. It is nice to read the backstories of others here. I had to check, because it seems like i've been a member here forever, but it's just under 1 year.

I
    I
    Our goal was to put him in an environment where he had an even chance to develop and reverse his underachievment. From this moment's vantage point, I feel like this is accomplished!

My goal is to be able to say the same thing in 6 years. Thanks for the inspiration! smile

Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks for helping me celebrate. It would be such a lonely road without you.

We got the email, and lots of nice comments, along with an almost universal plea for him to 'be a bit more patient and understanding that there is a whole classroom of children who need to be heard from, or drawn out.'

This is the same feedback we got when he was in daycare at age 18 months. I can date the memory because I remember the teacher explaining to me that she has 4 children to look after, and that each one should get one quarter of her attention, and that DS needs to let her do that.

At least nowadays we can have a family talk, which we did, and let the teachers know that we did. Back then I was totally flabergasted at how to help. The daycare teacher seemed to imply that there was something I was doing wrong and should change it, but I just couldn't figure out how I was going to do that.

Nowadays I'm also willing to entertain the idea that this isn't 'all my fault,' but is some kind of karmic lesson that it is his journey to figure out.

Bottom Line: He's still himself, but as he gets older he is able to modulate lots (but not all) of it, and the settings he finds himself in keep suiting him better and better.

Smmiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    <happy sigh>

Honestly, you give me hope! laugh Such a light and happy thread. You're bringing tears to my eyes again.

Cut it out, will you?! Who will believe that I am cold and analytical if you keep making me cry? wink

Kriston
    shake it off spock........shake it off... grin

<biting lip>

I'm better now. Thanks! wink

Kriston
    As I read more and more on here, I realize that compared to many of you my road has been very easy. but it's because of one person and I'd like to nominate her.

We live in a small community in NM. The district has very limited resources and I had been told on more than one occasion that I should consider moving to a different state.

The diagnostician at our local school approached me while I was at the school with another child. She had heard stories of the wunderkid I had stashed at home. I'm guessing she got her information from my other kids, don't really know for sure. I explained to her that I had applied for early admission to K the year prior and was refused. We were homeschooling and since he was accelerated in all subject I decided homeschooling was the only way to deal with his educational needs. She asked me if I had any samples of work, tests or anything that she could look at. I told her that I made him take the Washington standards test every time he completed a grade level of work. She asked me if I would consider enrolling him in the school if they could come up with a program that would meet his needs. I admit I was extremely sceptical (partly from reading posts on here) but I agreed to look at what they came up with.

The following week, she asked me if I could attend a meeting with several people from the district. The school principal along with the Director of Special Ed, the Superintendant of Curriculum and a bunch of others attended. I brought the standards test he had taken. After his tests were passed around the table, they agreed that it would be a challenge but that they would like the opportunity to try. All of this without any formal testing. The diagnostician gave me a list of teachers that were being considered for his classes and asked me to take the time to do observations. She wanted to know which teachers I thought he would do well with. I gave her my recommendations and got called in again. She and I sat with the principal and built his schedule. The principal told me that the Director of Special Ed had given the school complete flexibility to met DS needs as they saw fit. The school had to submit a quarterly report on his progress and changes that were made to his schedule.

We built a schedule that looked like a middle schooler, changing classes several times a day based on subject. He was offered classes that aren't normally adressed until 3rd grade like Science and Social Studies. He has computer science and participates in a special program called "Concepts of Algebra" with the gifted teacher. He was given "official" tests about six weeks in and the results bear out all of the accomadations that have been made. He absolutely loves school! Over winter break he drove me crazy wanting to go back.

Without the diagnostician, he would still be at home with me so she gets my nomination. But honestly the entire district has been amazing. The principal has already given me a list of teachers for next year that she would like me to observe. His IEP is already scheduled for the end of the year so that we can go into the summer with everything for next year in place.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM