Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 197 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    You know, I almost piped in when I read Mamabear's comment that Shelly is commenting on.

Logically, it's a fallacious argument: Argument by selective observation. However, it does evoke a stong emotion, I think.

I was an HG child who had those symptons and was unfairly labelled, misdiagnosed and wrongly medicated.

My DH was an HG child who did have ADD inattentive, but was never diagnosed and had many difficulties growing up. He was diagnosed as an adult and couldn't imagine his life without medication.

It is a very hard decision to make when considering having your child take a chemical that interferes with brain chemistry(whether you think that is positive or negative). It's also a very private decision that only the parents have a right to make and I don't think anyone else really gets an opinion one way or the other.

A lot of ADD symtoms are executive function and research tells us that the frontal lobe is not fully developed until a person is in their 20's! So how is a parent supposed to know if a child will "grow" into their "impulsiveness" or not, especially taking into consideration the asynchronistic development a lot of our children seem to experience.

Mama, I know the comment wasn't meant to be inflammatory, however, I just felt I should comment. I've made comments myself that I thought were fine, only to have a very unexpected reaction from others that I wasn't trying to provoke!

S
    S
    Mamabear - I just wanted to pipe in on the cost issue. For DD7, we first paid around $25 for a screening, then around $100 for the testing. It did not take as long as you describe (I can't remember, but it was probably an hour and a half total, plus a half-hour conference at a later date; maybe two-thirds of the evaluation was done by a vision therapist and the rest by the optometrist). Vision therapy was around $2600, which included 6 months - 24 weekly visits - of therapy plus several progress exams with the optometrist.

Curious about the differences between optometrists, I took my 5 y.o. twin boys to a different but highly recommended behavioral optometrist for this type of evaluation (which was shorter, given their age at the time - actually, they were only 4.5 y.o. at the time) and I paid $125 each for the evaluation. I later had them evaluated by the same guy who DD7 goes to. No problems have been found so far; we expect to go back in a year to have them re-checked.

For the docs we saw, my sense is that they aim to not have the cost of testing be so high that people don't do it, so maybe some of the testing cost is built into the therapy charges.

hope this helps
    smile

L
    L
    At seven, my son was fidgety, wouldn't read more than a few paragraphs, was too interested in everything in the room and wanted to ask too many questions and the developmental pediatrician told us there were people who might think he had ADHD, but she didn't think he did.

He had tracking issues that caused him to skip lines if he didn't keep a finger underneath the words as he read and his eyes tired after reading a paragraph or two at that age. In spite of this difficulty he was able to read from a Newsweek magazine for the optometrist. It was hard to believe that he could actually have a vision problem when he managed to read without being taught at 2 and somehow managed to get enough practice to be able to read a magazine that adults read. He seemed to be able to see just fine until his eyes got tired.

In piano lessons the teacher had to use her pencil to point to where he was in the song or he would lose his place. Tests showed his visual motor integration was a few years behind when tested. He also had trouble reading some analog clocks, but not others and it was because he had difficulty telling which hand was longer on some of them. For a long time I thought he was just kidding when he told me he couldn't read our living room clock when he could easily read the one in our computer room, but then I noticed there is more of a difference in the length of the hands on our computer room clock.

My son had to use flipper glasses for a few months and that helped with the tracking problem. He was able to read longer without his eyes getting tired. He could read an article on Wikipedia after vision therapy because he didn't have to have his finger underneath the words. The piano teacher noticed the difference.

But he still has the problem with some analog clocks and I wonder if he will always have this problem. When his visual motor integration was tested the last time, less than a year ago, his visual motor integration was still low but the optometrist had just told us there was nothing more he could do for him.

Last edited by Lori H.; 12/08/08 08:35 AM.
    S
    S
    That's great that they identified what the issue was with your son and he has had improvement. I had a book once about misdiagnosis of gifted children. It was quite interesting (Unfortunately I leant it to someone and never got it back). It is interesting how many gifted children are labelled with ADHD when they truly don't meet the full criteria. I know some gifted children do have it as well, but it is interesting that some people believe that if you don't always sit and focus on certain tasks you must have ADHD. I worried that my son's last preschool would think that as well, but instead they said they think he had something on the Autism spectrum. Their rationale was that they had never seen a 3 year old as smart as he was that didn't have something on the Autism spectrum. So I guess they didn't even need that diagnostic criteria with that conclusion. We figured we would have that question later in life so took him to a developmental pediatrician so we could at least have something in writing saying he didn't meet the criteria. I figure evaluations can't hurt, maybe they can provide more understanding or ideas.

OP Offline
    A quick update:

Babybear's evalaution results from the Optometrist indicate that she is 2-3 years BELOW chronological age for visual motor/visual perceptual skills!

We will start vision therapy ASAP!!

The Doctor thinks we are looking at 1-2 years of weekly therapy!

I think we will take it one session at a time and hope for a shorter term!

Thanks again!

That's so great that you have an idea of what the issue is and have a plan. Best of luck to you! DD6 has been in vision therapy since end of Sept. and we have seen really big results.

I would suggest that you try to do whatever she is prescribed to do. I had a very uncomfortable time trying to DD6's. smile

It helps in understanding when they are having a bad day. I know C's excersises are very uncomfortable for her. I give her lots of praise and encouragement, but I do "push" her to finish and try her hardest. There have been a few days I wanted to let her off the hook because I felt so bad for her, but that was more about me!

I do give her rewards so she looks at therapy as steps toward a goal. Because really it is, but she'll have a hard time understanding what the medical goal is. But she totally *gets* Webkinz!!

Good luck!

Oh, wow! I'm so glad you caught it so early. Best wishes for a fast improvement. smile

Kriston
    Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM