Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 264 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    crisc Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Yes. Next year we are hoping DS6 can attend a brand new private school for 20 GT children from ages 5-12. We are putting all of our eggs into this basket hoping for a great outcome. There will be no grade levels only ability grouping. Sounds very promising.

I just don't know if he can survive the next 4 months without getting a much more negative opinion of school.

Crisc
    Sounds like the teacher has a bad case of overconfidence. It's hard not to feel stonewalled when dealing with people like that. cry The only way I see as getting around this is to agree to disagree and then see if they are willing to use objective data to make a decision about whether to give him accelerated material. Would teacher be willing to look at curriculum-based above grade level testing? BTW, I suspect your DS would ace that 3rd grade state test she's talking about... wink

As far as bringing in other material like Singapore math... It's a great idea in theory. But only if you're pretty confident that she wouldn't get p.o.'d at the suggestion she might not be all-knowing...

Mia Offline
    Originally Posted by crisc
    Yes. Next year we are hoping DS6 can attend a brand new private school for 20 GT children from ages 5-12.

Oh, I'm sorry -- I think I knew that. Sometimes I forget backstory without faces to put on names. smile

Originally Posted by crisc
    I just don't know if he can survive the next 4 months without getting a much more negative opinion of school.

Poor kid. At the worst, then, you can hope for 4 more months, then done. Not perfect, but better than no solution looming ...

Mia
    Oh My Crisc! Only 4 months to go! Can they just switch teachers if you promise that he won't be there next year? This teacher you are dealing with just seems 'not a good fit' for your son!

As far as social skills group, I have to say that they did that for DS, and it seemed to work, it got him out of the classroom at least, but it really really BUGs me. No one ever thinks to organize social skills training to help ND kids 'fake play' with Gifties. Can you imagine the teacher coming in with cardboard cutouts of nonreaders 'faking an interest' in games that require reading? How about teaching ND kids to politely listen while Gifties lecture on their favorite subject, and being expected to 'fake some enthusiasm' for the topic?

Oh well!
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students