Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    Hi Crisc,
    Just wanted to say 'Hi' and 'Good luck' for tommorow. Did you win the principle's permission to 'sit in' in class?

Everything she says is true, BUT, if you sit quietly and observe, you might see quite a bit.

It's good that they tested his spelling and reading, (although it doesn't sound like they actually went to his capasity level with either test - good to point out if needed tommorow)

I just don't know if they will fight you or grab your position. Be prepared for that; I don't know how many times in life I've tried to convinse someone of something, only to come back to the table and watch them try to convines me that this was the position that they held all along. Remember from me, if this happens, that this is as close to an appology as you are likely to get, and that it doesn't matter who gets the credit, if only your son gets to learn at his readiness level.

Sounds like you are going in there alone, yes? Take notes. If you need a moment to collect yourself, step out to pee, that's a sure fire escape trick. Remember that when you get home, write down everything that was said in an email, and copy past a version here.

The worst in my book was when they finally seem to be coming around, and then when I send my sweet 'great meeting!' email, they say: 'Oh! We didn't say we would DO all that, we were just brainstorming ideas of things that we could do.'

Yes, I have BTDT. Pick up a funny or melodramatic DVD to watch, and perhaps some comfort food of choice. Dinner in the crock pot put up this morning if possible. Expect to be full of feelings before and after the meeting, and not good for much for a day or two.

After one really bad meeting, I couldn't even post for 2 weeks - I have BTDT!

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Good luck tomorrow Crisc!

BTW, have you thought about having your DYS personal consultant write a letter to the school about DI and the needs of PG children? Ours did. The letter was very nice and sensitive to not overriding the school. (Of course *our* principal all but threw the letter in the trash, but our PC told me that many schools will take advantage of DYS resources).

S
    S
    Crossing my fingers for you, Crisc. BTW, how do I make this a "watched topic"?

T
    Tiz Offline
    T
    Good luck crisc! I am also very interested to know how it goes and have also added this to my watched topics.

kcab I know how you feel about the emotional turmoil - I tend to sit through any parent-teacher meetings trembling like an over-excitable puppy and then to make things worse talking away through any silences (often about nothing in particular!).

Last edited by Tiz; 01/23/09 02:59 AM. Reason: can't spell!
    crisc Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks everyone for the support.

To answer some questions: My DH is actually coming with me today and I did get permission to sit in the class and wait for the meeting. The principal was going to talk to the teacher and also say that I volunteered to do some busy work things for the class if needed as well amd that I wasn't planning on bringing a tape recorder or video camera with me. smile

I am actually going away for the weekend so hopefully I will get a chance to post back this afternoon before I leave.

Crisc
    Mia Offline
    Good luck, Crisc! I hope it goes all right. I'll be waiting with bated breath ... your situation is so similar to ours last year.

I'd be concerned about the reaction to sitting it, too ... that's odd. You have every right to see the class in action, Friday afternoon or no!

Mia
    Good luck, Crisc!! I hope the meeting goes well today. You have a large crowd of supports here who are wishing you the best of luck. grin You have your own private cheering section here! Does anyone else every wish that they could take all of you guys into the meetings with them? Wouldn't that be fun!!

And have fun on your weekend trip! I'm sincerely jealous! A trip anywhere would be oh so nice right now. cool Enjoy!

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    Good luck Crisc,

I wouldn't be too worried about the teacher's reaction for a couple of reasons.

First of all, it sounds like the school is already taking action in the form or additional assessments, hopefully in good faith to make sure he is going to be accomodated.

Also, remember, this is the teacher's job. This meeting is called because something is basically going wrong, not right. It's basically like being called into your bosses office; and not to be given a promotion, KWIM? wink

Many kids do act TOTALLY different when their parent is in the classroom and it is sometimes disruptive to the whole class dynamic. My DD6 totally regresses and starts talking like a baby when I'm in the class. It's awful. ((shrug)).

On the other hand DD8 is fine when I'm at school.

Lastly, she probably is a little freaked out that she didn't have time to "plan" something for your visit in terms of putting her best foot forward. Most teachers would do that, so she's probably feeling a little vulnerable. It would work in your favor if you are sensitive to this. However, it is much better for YOU to view the class without her making any preperation.

Hope you have a great meeting a fun weekend.

Just adding my good luck wishes too! All those with meetings today, perhaps it helps to know you have us "ghost" supporters behind you today. smile

Hope it went well!!!

Erica
    Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM