Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 309 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    S
    S
    Wow, what an interesting thread. This will truly help me next year when DS4 starts K...or 1 if we skip K. I do know how teachers generally do react to things as I work as a school counselor and work with teachers all day...but this is great advice and also tells me more about how some schools understand scores, etc. I will tell you that I have been in different schools and districts, and many schools have no idea about giftedness, and if they know anything about it at all then they still don't understand that there are such variations within children that are gifted. That's been my experience

And I wanted to reiterate that coloring is fine motor skills training, following directions, and a space filler. And learning colors in pre-k. We don't do tons of it at our school.

I had never seen my DS4 color in a picture, he just scribbled on them. Once when he was not quite 4 I asked him if he knew how to color. he said yes and that he would surprise me and color in a picture. He then spent like 10 minutes coloring in a picture very nicely. I was shocked. I really didn't even know he could color, but it was just that he was uninterested. He even stayed in the lines some.

LOL Crisc, you are not alone. In fact, this has inspired me to pen a book.........

It wouldn't be how not to piss of the teacher, like St. Pauli girl suggests, because, D'O, I haven't figured that one out totally!

How bout: How I HAVE pissed the teachers off........in 500 simple and easy lessons.........

I
    I
    This thread inspired me to read Stand Up for Your Gifted Child by Joan Smutny. One of the quotes on the praise page is by Steven Schroeder-Davis, PhD.

Advocating for a gifted child in a typical school system may be the hardest job a parent could have. Between myths, charges of elitism, underfunding, and negligible teacher training, parents have often had a daunting, lonely task as they sought an appropriate education for their gifted kids.

Being able to discuss these issues here has made it a less daunting and lonely task. Thank you! smile

Originally Posted by incogneato
    LOL Crisc, you are not alone. In fact, this has inspired me to pen a book.........

It wouldn't be how not to piss of the teacher, like St. Pauli girl suggests, because, D'O, I haven't figured that one out totally!

How bout: How I HAVE pissed the teachers off........in 500 simple and easy lessons.........

Mine would be one lesson, but it would be a really good lesson! LOL!

Kriston
    chuckling.................

crisc Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Wish me luck. Meeting is at 1:45pm on Friday and I have asked to observe him in the classroom prior to the meeting. His counselor also plans to call the school prior to the meeting.

Crisc
    S
    S
    good luck, keep us posted...I am eager to see how it goes. It sounds like you have had lots of sound advice and all your ducks are in a row.

All the best to you! Thinking of you... smile

Kriston
    crisc Offline OP
    OP Offline
    And the saga continues...

Tomorrow is the meeting with the 1st grade teacher and the principal. I'm still not sure if the K teacher is also attending.

I got a phone call around 3pm today from the principal. The teacher is concerned that I had asked to observe the class from 12:30pm till our meeting time at 1:45pm. She was very, very concerned about what I was looking for and why did I need to stay so long. I told the principal that since DS6 would be dropped back off at school at 12:30pm after his counseling appt. I didn't see the need to drive 20 minutes to work to turn around and come back to a 1:45pm meeting. I also told her I thought it would be nice to see DS6 in the classroom and let him show me his work and introduce me to his friends. I never thought it was going to be a huge deal but the principal told me that the teacher was concerned that DS6 might act different and the other children might act different with me there. She was also concerned that I might not see what I needed/or expected to see because it was a Friday afternoon. I am actually more worried now that the teacher is so paranoid about me visiting the class. When I got off the phone with the principal she said she was so glad to have called me to hear my intentions and obviously I know now that the teacher did not paint my visit in a good light.

In other news DS6 told me he was pulled aside today for a reading test with a book that had "lots of words on one page but was still very short and easy" and earlier this week he was pulled out of class for a spelling test with "40 words that were easy". He said he had to spell words like sister, strike, and boil. I guess they figure they should assess him before the meeting tomorrow. smile DS6 also says that he has not had any other testing like this at all this year. I'm very curious to see the results tomorrow.

Crisc
    Oh. frown When I was having behavior troubles with DS7, I volunteered in the classroom. She gave me only jobs that kept me out of the room. When I finished those early and came in to observe in my remaining time, she sent me home.

I don't have a good feeling about classrooms that don't like/accept observation, especially when notified in advance. Even lengthy observation. Your kid, your right.

I'm sorry.

I am glad about the testing, however. Whatever it takes! smile

Kriston
    Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students