Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 217 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #3415 09/15/07 09:11 AM
    J
    Jenafur Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Last week before I was putting my Son Andrew to bed (he usually prays before he goes to sleep) , when he said,
    Andrew:"Where's God?"
    Before i could answer...
    Andrew:" He's not here"
    Me:"We can't see him, but he can hear us and he watched over us"
    Then he started to argue again that God is not there, and that we can't see him. I assured him that he really does exist, that it is something I know in my heart, something we just believe, and have faith in, even though we can't see him. He didn't argue any more after that but I just thought it was interesting that I was having that conversation with my 38 month old.
    Do you guys have similar experiences with your child questioning GOd at an early age?

Last edited by Jenafur; 09/15/07 09:15 AM.
    Oh yes! DS11 was very interested in the idea of God at age 3. We would just look out at the Mountians and get filled with Joy and Gratitude. At age 3 he was mad about it raining all day at daycare. He said that he thought the teachers were responsible, then he remembered about God -

- oh yes, I know! The girl God pushes the button and the boy God pumps the handle.

Please - this isn't what I taught him! I don't know where he got this idea. I just got to smile.

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    T
    T
    I remember when my father in law passed away and my 2y 10m old (33 weeker) said he would never return and we could see him only in photographs.
    When people cry in movies during death scenes, as a 3 year old, he would say "I cannot understand why people cry over things that can't be changed.When you know everyone has to die one day why should you cry over it?".He then proceeded to explain how the ecosystem worked and how people needed to die so that new people could fit in since space on earth was limited.He said "you cannot have new babies if you don't let others die."

Now I have junior who at 3y 10 m was asking me if Ganesha, the elephant God was an elephant or a mammoth since God has been existing for a long time.....

Last edited by twiceblessed; 09/18/07 09:27 PM.
    DD was very curious about God and faith issues right around the same time. I gave her many analogies about God that fit our belief system. One of the analogies was about the wind and how you can't really see the wind, but you can see the effects of it. Same way God is not someone we see but we can see many miracles, people being kind to each other, beautiful nature etc. I also told her that asking these questions is ok and can strengthen a person's faith. Just speak from your heart and your son will appreciate it that much more.

Jeni

Originally Posted by twiceblessed
    Now I have junior who at 3y 10 m was asking me if Ganesha, the elephant God was an elephant or a mammoth since God has been existing for a long time.....

You are indeed blessed! That brings a tear of delight to my eye.
    Trinity

Originally Posted by twiceblessed
    When you know everyone has to die one day why should you cry over it?".

It's so great that they can ask questions like this. I reccomend to tell him that tears help us "unsadden."

Smiles -
    Trinity

J
    J
    About a year ago DD5 decided that God wasn't real, mostly as the result of a discussion about Santa. She asked if Santa was real and I ask her what she thought. She said no, because no one ever sees Santa, they just see the helpers at all of the stores and it's like pretend. DS8 (then 7) pointed out that he already knew Santa was Mom and Dad. We had a long talk about the meaning of Santa, the spirit and fun of giving, magical thinking in children, and why you don't tell all of your preschool friends that Santa is really just Mom and Dad. When we were all done she said that the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy are just like Santa. They are just Mom and Dad. And God is just to make you feel good.

DD5 has a strong focus on what is real in an observable sense. She is very much the little scientist. If something (like a movie monster) contradicts observable reality she wants to know why and how. We've talked a little about the difference between observations (science) and faith (religion)and I've pointed out that faith can help people lead a good life. She's not terribly interested in the faith end of things right now, but we are not a strongly religious family, so I'm OK with letting it go until she is more interested.

Jill

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM