Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 193 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    OP Offline
    I found this community a few weeks ago and finally collected the time (and nerve) to register and post. I'm GT myself (no clue what level - all I remember was a few tests and a weird and interesting meeting in the teachers' lounge in grade four, after which I got called 'gifted'... but that was 30 years ago and my parents weren't the types to ask a lot of questions as long as my report cards were good), and now I find myself suspecting that my 18-month-old son might possibly be GT as well. So I'm interested in learning as much as I can, so that I'm prepared in future to make appropriate school-related decisions and so on... but mostly, I've just been longing for somewhere that I can talk about his development without either making other mums feel bad or having it implied that I'm lying! *sigh*

A little background on DS:
    He was extremely alert and active right from moment one - to the point that the delivery room nurses all commented on it in surprise - and extremely high-needs as a newborn. He first lifted his head to look around at one day old, rolled over and smiled before 1 month, laughed at about 5 weeks, sat alone at 3 months, pulled to a stand at 5 months, crawled and cruised at 6mo, walked at 8mo. At first I was just thinking that he was really into gross motor stuff and would maybe be a late talker (since I had heard that babies tend to concentrate on one or the other - mobility or language), but he started talking at about 10 months - which I didn't think was exceptionally early, but certainly not late.

Now, at 18 months, he:
    - has a vocabulary of about 300 words (or at least, I gave up counting somewhere after 250)
    - rote counts to 13, seems to understand actual number concepts up to at least 3, and recognizes some numerals
    - recognizes most of the alphabet in uppercase (he's named all of them at least once, but some of them he knows better than others)
    - names 10-11 colours ('grey' is still a bit dodgy)
    - is starting to know how to spell his name

We haven't set out to "teach" him any of this stuff, we just follow his lead. And even before he was talking (or even mobile!) he had an obvious hunger for new experiences and a low tolerance for boredom... it just took a while for me to realize that not all babies/toddlers were like that, or at least not to the degree that DS is. (My first clue was the room full of blank stares I got when I enthusiastically told my local mum-and-baby group about how he'd enjoyed the Ontario Science Centre enough that we decided to get a family membership... when he'd just turned 6 months old.)

Anyhow, sorry this got more verbose than I'd intended, when I just meant to make an introduction! There are obviously kids here who are higher up the 'GT scale' than my DS (at least, going by the descriptions I've read), but I feel like I need to trust my maternal instinct and parent him on the assumption that he may be GT, rather than waiting around till he's school-aged for someone to test him, kwim? So I hope nobody minds if I join this little community. smile

Welcome, shapeshifter! I think many of us found this forum because we too didn't have an outlet for talking about the things our children did. Your DS sounds quite GT to me. In case you haven't found these yet, here is a link to early behaviors of GT kids:
    Ruf levels of giftedness

And of course there are loads of GT resources on Hoagies:
    Hoagie's Gifted

Enjoy your child, and feel free to share stories here. I for one love to hear about these amazing children!

M
    M
    Welcome! Based upon my experience, I have a DD5 and a DS8, most babies (<24months) that I have come across seem to come from a whole new generation! It seems like today's baby/infant/toddler is definitely operating on a whole different intellectual plane that children born even just 5-8 years ago. That being said, your DS has many of the same developmental milestones that my DS achieved at an early age. Do enjoy him! Just keep doing what you are doing and exposing him to new and different things. My DS was so interactive, right from the beginning, that I didn't know how to play with other infants that weren't as engaged. It is fantastic that you are so attuned to him and his needs. Sounds like GT to me... Just keep track of his milestones since you will get asked about them in the near future.
    Again, welcome to the Board.

Last edited by momx2; 01/12/09 10:13 AM.
    I
    I
    I feel like I need to trust my maternal instinct and parent him on the assumption that he may be GT, rather than waiting around till he's school-aged for someone to test him, kwim?

Definitely trust your maternal instinct and if he seems to enjoy the Science Center at 6 months, keep taking him, even if you get blank stares or the "are you crazy?" looks from other parents. As for waiting until he's school-aged for someone to test him, I've found the school personnel have misinterpreted DD6's results on a couple of tests. If I hadn't trusted my maternal instincts, I would have just accepted their version of the results. Instead, I started researching and asking questions which led me to discover mistakes that affect not just my child, but other children too. Glad you're here and I wish I'd found this board when my children were as young as your son is!

Keep it up - its fun for you and your child!!!

We keep things to ourselves now for the most part.

Here is why:

Its more fun to WATCH other parents' reactions when Mr W sees a toy that a 3 year old is using, watches for a minute, then uses it properly.

"It took my three year old son a week to figure that out!"

We take him everywhere with us - museums, book stores, restaurants, walks, etc - and he has a ball.

S
    S
    Welcome, and all I can say is get used the the blank stares. Your DS sounds like he was doing many of the things my DS4 was doing at that age...and I remember the blank stares starting around 12 months. They never seem to go away. But we can all relate in some way or another here....and plus we can't stare so that is a plus.
    ; )

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM