Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 241 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    RE: Strict lines.

I have no idea if they are typical of groups in my area. I was in another state before this one and the other groups I joined when I moved to my current state were groups in name only. There was zero activity on the messageboards and in real life. So this is my first group where I actually have met people. Perhaps it's the homeschooling style for the majority of the regular and very active members? They follow their curriculum very closely and adhere to the age guidelines in whatever method they are choosing fairly strictly. I figured it was because it works well for their families, but never thought that they'd make it a point to extrapolate it onto *my* family! Especially since this group (as it was intended by the person who started it) is supposed to be about supporting eachother during our homeschool journey and being tolerant.

All that to say, I don't really know. It boggles me.

Me, too. My best advice: keep your eyes peeled for other groups while you hang out with this one. You may very well find something better out there. I know I live in an area with a highly active HSing community, but I find it hard to believe that this is the best there is for you.

At least I hope there's better!

Worst case: maybe you can suss out some like-minded people and start your own group.

Any GT support groups in your area? Even if they're not for homeschoolers, you might have some luck finding like-minded people there.

I'll keep thinking. I really do feel for you and wish I could do more to help you! It's so hard to feel so isolated! frown

Kriston
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    There's a gifted homeschoolers group. I am part of their messageboard, but haven't drummed up the courage to really participate. I know it's GT denial combined with years of suffering from "Impostor Syndrome". (Heck I still feel like an impostor!) The constant fear of what if we don't really fit there, either. I know, I know, I won't know unless I actually do it. Still if we get rejected there then what does that leave?

I am typically not so woe-is-me. I feel like I will soon be approaching a crossroad and need to start mapping out the next leg of my journey. I need to work on my own internal change management.

<reassuring smile>

I hear you. smile

Give the GT group a try though. I suspect you might very well feel like you found a home. At worst, it's no better than where you are, and you're really out nothing except maybe hope for better. But empty hope that you never explore doesn't really give you anything, right? Try it.

Or maybe some combo of the two groups will give you what you need. Chameleon syndrome can serve you well even into adulthood if you know how to use it to get your needs met.

And FWIW, you don't sound woe-is-me to me. You sound like you need some support, somewhere to belong. That's normal. BTDT! You're okay. laugh Just try the other group and see how it goes. I'm hoping for good things there!

I'll expect a full report, you know. grin wink

Kriston
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks!

Yes, I know empty hope is no hope at all! I can't promise I will have the courage to try the other group any time soon, but when I do (because I am certain that I will eventually have to and that "eventually" may be a lot closer than I want to admit) I'll have that report ready!

grin

Kriston
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM