Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 149 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore, Ross Kious, Alishaniche
    11,419 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Sorry: what's a CBA test?

CYA, I know. CBA is new to me. wink

Kriston
    Thanks, D! smile

Kriston
    Originally Posted by JBDad
    Well, apparently DS took more tests today. This time he claims "50 pages"! Ha.

Well, hopefully this is going in the right direction. I'd like to think that they are giving him progressively harder tests. Maybe even CBA tests. That'd be nice.JB

I pray that they are giving him harder and harder test also. I have a hunch that they are. Welcome to the 'hopeful' part of the advocacy rollcoaster. Good news is that even the testing itself gets him out of the regular classroom and closer to his readiness level and should give him a boost.

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    What I've read about grouping says that everyone benefits from it--high, low, and in between! Interestingly to me, one of the biggest beneficiaries is supposed to be the group of kids just below the GT kids: the bright-average ones. They get to shine when not grouped with the GT kids, and their self-esteem and achievement go up quite a lot. In fact, grouping experts recommend strongly that the GT kids be the top of one class and the high-average kids be the top of a totally different class, so that both groups do better.

I'm less sure I have this part right, but I think it's also recommended that the kids struggling the most should not be with the GT kids. It is better for them to be in the class with the high-average kids.

Can't cite a source off the top of my head, though I should if I'm stating specifics like this. Sorry! But I'm pretty sure I've got it right. Does this ring a bell for anyone else? Where AM I getting my info? Remembering my sources was always my biggest failing as an academic... blush

That's what I remember also. Remember that there is heavy 'political' pressure to end grouping, but that the studies I've seen show that grouping helps everyone. I've even read that a famous anti-grouping study that gets quoted alot to show that 'grouping doesn't help' took place in a school where the highest achievers were previously removed from the experimental group, before the study began.

Now, for a source, I'm not sure, but I would try Linda E. Brody: Grouping and Acceleration Practices in Gifted Education--Various forms of grouping and acceleration are studied in this volume, along with recommendations for implementation that will ensure challenging educational opportunities for gifted students from the series: Sally Reis - Essential Readings in Gifted Education.

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    In fact, grouping experts recommend strongly that the GT kids be the top of one class and the high-average kids be the top of a totally different class, so that both groups do better.
    So who gets to be at the bottom of the class in which the GT kids are at the top? Is there a serious proposal that, say, if we split kids into four groups by subject proficiency, say, A B C D from the top, it's best to have two classes, one with the As and Cs in it, the other with Bs and Ds? It's an interesting idea, but I see problems!

I think the root problem is competitiveness itself. For someone to win, someone else has to lose - and winning isn't all it's cracked up to be, either. It doesn't have to be that way, it really doesn't. I was in a primary school where there weren't marks or any other form of academic competition, and it was good. I know that if you give kids anything they can use to compete, they will, but you don't have to encourage it. Sadly all schools round here seem to :-(

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    I think there were more groups than 4, so the middle was divided between the two classes. But yes, I think the AY/BZ structure was what seemed to work best for both top and bottom of the class.

If memory serves...

Kriston
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM
    Posting IQ test results/Intepretrati
    on of them

by Chaya - 04/05/24 07:58 PM
    Seattle Public Schools shuts down gifted program
    by Eagle Mum - 04/05/24 02:18 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/02/24 09:08 AM