Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 152 guests, and 7 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    I
    inky Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    It's good to see our future president acknowledges the gifted label, recognizes there's a problem with No Child Left Behind and wants to change how we assess school success. smile

This is from a transcript of a forum back in May.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/05/16/AR2008051602323.html
    QUESTION: I was wondering what your thoughts and views on funding gifted education are.

OBAMA: Well, obviously there's a gifted student. You could tell.

You know, let me just talk about my education agenda generally. You know, we were talking earlier about manufacturing and the changes in the economy. Even if we bring back manufacturing to the levels that it should be, the days are over where you're going to be able to go -- our young people, our children and our grandchildren -- are going to be able to go into a factory without an education and suddenly are going to be able to make a living.

In fact, the days are over when a farmer or a rancher is able to operate a farm or a ranch without some education. I mean, look at Adam right here. He's getting his master's degree, because if you want to be effective, you've got to know, you know, the biological sciences, you've got to know how the financial markets work. There's a lot of stuff that goes into being a successful farmer these days.

So there's no job that doesn't need an education. We've got to upgrade our education system. It starts...

(APPLAUSE)

So it starts with early childhood education. We have to make sure that every child is prepared when they get to school. And some kids aren't, especially low-income kids, especially kids in inner cities, some rural communities, Native American reservations. A lot of kids just need some initial support so that, when they start school, they're not behind.

Second thing, we need to pay our teachers more money.

(APPLAUSE)

I really believe that. And so I've got a federal proposal to make sure that we are paying -- that we're helping local governments pay their teachers more, but also to give teachers more professional development and support. That's very important, as well, because a lot of new teachers aren't given the training that they need. And, typically, if a teacher drops out, it's in their first five years, because they're not getting the kind of training and support that they need. That's number two.

Third thing, we've got to make college more affordable. So...

(APPLAUSE)

So what I want to do is I want to provide a $4,000 tuition credit, every student, every year, in exchange for some community service, working in a veterans home, working in a homeless shelter, joining the Peace Corps. If you want to be a teacher, we'll pay your way to be a teacher if you commit to working in a hard to -- an underserved school.

If you want to be a doctor or a nurse, we'll pay your way, if you're willing to work in an underserved hospital or an underserved community. That will help, by the way, rural communities attract more doctors and more nurses.

(APPLAUSE)

Now, I also do want -- I want to make sure that we have fully funded gifted programs. Part of the way to do that is to change the way No Child Left Behind works, because...

(APPLAUSE)

... because part of the problem with No Child Left Behind is that it had the right idea. We want high standards. But everything revolved around a single, high-stakes standardized test. And if your money is going to count on how your kids do on this test, what ends up happening is everybody teaches to the test and teachers are measured by the test.

And so there's not a lot of room for gifted programs. There's not a lot of room for art or music or literature or civics, because everybody is just getting that test pounded into them.

And that's why I want to change how we assess school success. I have nothing wrong with a standardized test at the beginning of the year to see how kids are doing, maybe another one at the end to see what kind of progress they made, but I don't want that to be the only measure of school success.

That way, teachers can teach, schools can expand various programs.

(APPLAUSE)

But one last point that I want to make. I was talking to Jody about this. If we really want to improve our education system, we can't just expect the schools to do all of it. Parents have to parent. Parents have to do their job.

W
    W
    I agree; I just hope it doesn't get put on too low on the list due to other high priorities right now. Our kids need improvements now!

I hadn't read that, so thanks for posting it!

I appreciate that too. That would be amazing if he follows through with that rhetoric. However, that speech was before the election. Typical rally the voters speak.

I especially love how he states that parents have to be parents. Right now I'm the parent, the math teacher, the LA teacher, the gym teacher, the music teacher the art teacher........

So, I say, teachers have to teach.....all kids........all kids deserve to learn.......on their own level.

I really like Obama and if any president in near history or near future can accomplish the tremendous task of rectifying so MANY broken and crucial aspects of our country's functioning, I think it would be him.

But, I'll believe it if I see it.

Yes, cautious optimism might be the best bet. I'm hopeful that at least things won't get worse! How's that for setting the bar low?

Kriston
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    Yes, cautious optimism might be the best bet. I'm hopeful that at least things won't get worse! How's that for setting the bar low?

Well, I will not be surprised if your bar turns out to be not so low. smile But seriously I think there is a good chance that some changes will happen, hopefully for the better. I was disappointed with the rhetoric, it's pretty weak regarding gifted program. I really hope to see one day our leader makes the promise that our educational system will nurture everyone's (different) potential to its fullest.

Did anyone notice that Obama did not answer the question?

His response:

Headstart programs.
    Teacher Pay.
    Subsidies for College.

He managed to work in manufacturing, farming, inner cities, rural communities, and the rez into it, but nothing about:

1. Proper and early indentification of GT kids without regards to ethnic or economic status.
    2. Intellectually-appropriate acceleration regardless of ethnic or economic status.

Obama is clearly GT as was his mom and to a lesser degree, his wife.

I
    inky Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Obama is clearly GT as was his mom and to a lesser degree, his wife.
    Does this count as outing them? whistle

It would follow that their children are likely gifted and I was wondering if we have an advocate in the White House. Since I spent most of the campaign watching candidates avoid giving direct answers, I'd have been bowled over if he had answered the gifted question beyond:
    I want to make sure that we have fully funded gifted programs.

Instead I was looking for signs of gifted denial and relieved not to find anything obvious. It's a pretty low bar but at least he didn't go crashing into it.

Last edited by inky; 01/08/09 12:23 PM. Reason: clarity
    E
    E
    He did answer it. In a very noncommittal/short on details way...
    Now, I also do want -- I want to make sure that we have fully funded gifted programs. Part of the way to do that is to change the way No Child Left Behind works, because...

You are right that he did not mention the real issues of identification and acceleration for all.

That is what is frustrating about Obama. Long on Style, Smarts and Hope and short on Substance so far.

As others have mentioned, at least he seems more likely to be receptive when the time comes.

- EW

Mia Offline
    I noticed he didn't really answer the question. It was dancing and including his whole educational plan, not addressing the question of gifted education. He threw it in there with the bathwater.

I'm interested to see what (if anything) happens. TBH, I'm not holding my breath, but I can't help hoping that the *idea* of changes to gifted education will be brought out at some point. I'm afraid of more-of-the-same "gifted pullouts" will be touted as "the solution." Pull-outs just aren't the same as accelerated, differentiated instruction.

(Can you tell someone's reading "Genius Denied"? cool )

Last edited by Mia; 01/08/09 12:31 PM.

Mia
    They always do that though. They have to. During an election, a politician is really just a salesperson. He is trying to sell his education plan, or his domestic plan or his counter-terrorism plan... So a question about GT ed is an excuse to talk about his education plan; nothing more, nothing less. No politician gives details at that stage. Not ever!

That's why I'm with Inky: he acknowledged that GTness exists and that programs should be funded. That's more than I would expect under the circumstances.

Kriston
    I looked on the government website today www.whitehouse.gov under education agenda, there's nothing on funding gifted programs or anything about gifted, I'm I not looking in the right place? It seems there would be some sort of plan at this point?

Nope. Not if it's not on the agenda. I'm hoping they're slipping it in the backdoor under "individualized education." But that's just my personal hope.

Kriston
    S
    S
    Yeah, my hope is that it is part of the modifications of no child left behind. Doubtful, but good to hope.

Originally Posted by Skylersmommy
    I looked on the government website today www.whitehouse.gov under education agenda, there's nothing on funding gifted programs or anything about gifted, I'm I not looking in the right place? It seems there would be some sort of plan at this point?

There is certainly the plan to tax the gifted. And to tax their grandchildren, too. That should be an education.

IMHO, for advocacy reasons, GT parents are better off moving to areas that have specific programs in order to build critical mass. There are several excellent public school programs in the US at this time. We have schools known for sports and musical arts - and parents deliberately move into those districts. Why not the same for GT?

Last edited by Austin; 01/26/09 02:59 PM.
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM