Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 16 of 268 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 267 268
    Originally Posted by skyward
    DD 3.5months started sitting up this week!

How awesome!

My shameless brag is that yesterday at the ped's office and today at the two Montessori and gifted preschools we visited *all* the staff remarked about DD's conversational skills. One said, "My 3.5 y.o. grandson can't speak that well." It really made me feel good (validated?) to have the pros comment. DD turns 2 next week.

Originally Posted by skyward
    DD 3.5months started sitting up this week!

Heh..they change so fast!!

When Mr W was younger and tired while sitting up, he'd prop himself up with his arms. He looked too much like the National Lampoon paraplegic frog.

M
    M
    I recently took Harpo and Groucho out of town to "Twelfth Night"; it wasn't a kids' production, so I wanted to make sure they were really prepared, so we studied the play inside out and backwards--they had a great time!

The shameless brag part is this, though--Frenchie and Chico came along for the trip (and visited relatives, etc., while we were at the play); coming home on transit, the two of them went back to find something to eat. The employee said the snack bar was closing, and Chico (3), who had apparently absorbed more of his brothers' Shakespeare tutoring than I had realized, said to him, "Dost thou think there shall be no more cakes and ale?" (At least he left out the "because thou art virtuous" part!)

minnie

Ah, now I have a kid crush! It warms the cockles of my English-major heart to hear that! laugh

Kriston
    That is sooo cool Minnie!
    Everyone's stories are just amazing and cute!

This might seem minor compared with some of the jaw dropping stuff I've been reading in this thread...

Dd2.5 (getting closer to 2.75 now!) has been rolling along nicely with letter identification, getting a few more under her belt in the last month or so. We were reading an Arthur / D.W. book and she was saying different letters to herself and asking tons of very loud questions so I said, 'can you find D on the page? ' thinking maybe she had a shot at finding the huge capital 'D' in D.W. Maybe she doesn't know that one, but she said yes...rolled her finger across the page and pointed at the little 'd' at the end of the word 'world'. Pretty cool.
    (she also enjoys shouting 'V' for bagina - but maybe that belongs under the 'identifying the sexes thread'... whistle )

Ds8 is doing nicely too - nearly all A's on the report card, even in science and I wasn't sure that was going to 'jibe' for him this year. His teach. said he is the 'go-to guy for animal adaptation questions'. That's got to make a mom smile wink

Ok, this threads getting a little long but I just had to add one more.
    When I was putting my DD4 to bed a couple of nights ago, she told me she wanted to read her book to me. So she's brings me a homemade book she made (about 10 pages stapled together) I look at her and ask if DD5 helped her, she stapled it for me cause I'm too little. It was called "Pink Cat" It had a few words on each page (that DD4 knows how to spell and write) Like "up cat" "down cat" "fat cat" "jump cat" plus some cute pictures on each page. She told me a story with the book that was about 30 minutes long. I was just floored with her imagination. When she was done I dated it and put it in her baby book. smile

Personally, I think the brag thread ought to be the longest thread on the forum, by far! I love it! Keep it going! laugh

Great story, too. smile

Kriston
    This really isn't a brag; more a good gracious, but I didn't think it warranted a new thread.

I have come to discover that I so can not take my 2 yr old with me while shopping for Christmas and really need to find some crazy hiding place b/c she is into everything. I should have known that it would backfire but now she has managed to figure out all the presents so if I do try the Santa tactic with any of those presents I am sure she will be on to it and that much closer to figuring it all out. Looks like she will get one present from Santa (The only one that she has not discovered b/c it was ordered and still sealed in the shipping box) and the rest from mommy and daddy.

It is just so frustrating b/c the typical 2 yr old you can take them with you load up the baskets and distract them with something and all is forgotten.

LOL! This is why our kids get just stockings from Santa and gifts from us. It's too hard to hide big gifts. This way, if they see what I bought, I can still give everything out.

I feel your pain! smile

Oh, and I was going to post this happy tale a couple of days ago and got busy and forgot...

I was getting an MRI for my migraines, and the place was backed up. Because we're homeschooling, DS7 was with me for the wait. Coming in behind us--also waiting forever--was a Korean War veteran. (So, probably close to 70, right? He was over there in 1950...)

We struck up a conversation with the man, and they started comparing foreign language notes. The guy taught DS some Korean and some Italian. DS taught him Arabic and Spanish. It was just adorable! They continued when I left the waiting area and went into "the tube." By the time I came out 45 minutes later, they were busom buddies! DS had learned the entire naval semaphore code (the one using flags) and was talking about wishing we could see the guy again. And the man was raving about how wonderful DS was to talk to, how smart, how much fun, how lucky I was to have him for a son. They apparently talked the entire time and both had a blast.

Just heartwarming! I was a really proud momma! smile

Kriston
    Kriston, if you got his name maybe you could invite him to come talk to a group of the homeschoolers. Also, a lot of the WWII & Korean War vets have groups, you could probably find some on the net close to you, that applies to anyone here. Or, check out your nearest military museum, lots of them have guys like that volunteer.

GS9 was just in his first play. It was just at our church, but it wasn't a kids play. Our pastor has training and experience with drama & theater. He chose this particular play for GS9 because he just had to be himself. He had good timing with his lines that were funny. He had two Bible passages to recite as part of the play, and for some reason he started to recite the wrong one first. His 'mommy' in the play kept in character to get him on the correct one, GS9 stayed in character and switched to the right one, and no one except us knew the difference! That was the only line he flubbed, but it was such a smooth recovery everyone assumed it was supposed to be that way.

Page 16 of 268 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM