Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Originally Posted by gratified3
    In my experience, kids who do well with age mates also do well in other environments because of social skills. And kids who struggle socially may struggle in many environments, not just the age-based classroom.

I agree. If a gifted kid is struggling socially with age mates, there is a temptation to blame it on the GT when it really could be something else - not just that they are too intellectually different. I know several PG kids who genuinely enjoy and are comfortable playing with same age peers (DS included). That said, when a teacher makes a child stand out by doing things like teaching other kids or otherwise not being sensitive to the differences in ability it can be a pretty bad social fit.

Originally Posted by master of none
    Speaking of the social topic, adding on to G3 discussion (without attempting quote boxes)

Do you think that being identified gifted or having some acknowledgment of being different is helpful to the social development?

Yes, in ds' case I think it has been very helpful!
    I think that he really felt like he was being excluded. Now it's like a de-facto 'you are included'. Also, we've been able to speak more openly about his unique characteristics and how and why that will sometimes make things easier and sometimes make things harder for him.
    I'm sure feeling better about oneself can only increase a child's confidence and ability to get along with others so I do hope that this good feeling begins to extend past the kids in the gt group.

S
    san54
    Unregistered
    san54
    Unregistered
    S
    One other factor we found to be counterproductive was the lack of discipline at our son's school. Kids were not well supervised and the victim who fought back in defense was suspended as well. If ethics aren't taught in relation to peers, it makes school extra stressful for kids who are different. For example, the kids were brought back from recess and left in a classroom without an adult. This enable a boy to shove him to the floor while a girl cut his hair. (4th gr.) The playground didn't have enough aides, also. So, even though he entered the school system with good social skills and was friendly, he soon found that an environment of similar values was not fostered and was virtually a free-for-all.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM