Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Austin
    Its better to fail small than fail big.

If it fails my child (not to mention other kids, too), then frankly, I don't much care if it's failing big or small. Failure is failure. And something different needs to happen.

I'm not necessarily pro-big government in the schools. (And I think NCLB is a PRIME example of big government in the schools, BTW.) But I don't rule out big government on principle either. I want something that works. Period.

Kriston
    I
    I
    I did feel mildly guilty when I heard the district's hourly lawyer fees at a recent board meeting
    How do the hourly lawyer fees compare to the psychologist's $160/hour I'm looking at paying to have my daughters assessed? eek eek eek
    Doing the right thing in the first place sounds cheaper for everyone involved.

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Jool
    Does it really put that much of a financial or staffing burden on a district to educate the high academic ability kids?! According to Teaching Gifted Children in the Regular Classroom, it doesn't. I can tell you that our district is spending more time and resources on meetings, letters, phone calls, etc. dealing with my advocating for DS than if they would just let him do an online math course in place of the regular math a few times a week... Plus, you'd think a district would be motivated to keep kids like DS in the district who are a shoe-in for getting "advanced" on the standardized tests, thus more $$. confused

This is what always grinds my gears! It is NOT expensive to subject accelerate. It IS expensive--in ways more than $$$, even--to refuse to educate kids.

<shaking head>

This is the part that just makes me want to scream! Use a wee bit of creativity, schools. Show a wee bit of interest in making it work. Sometimes (though certainly not always) I see a real lack of good faith effort on the part of schools/adminstrators/teachers. If they hold the "What's wrong with being bored for 3 years?" attitude, then there IS a lack of good faith effort. And I fear that too many educators have that attitude.

Heck, ONE educator having that attitude is too many... cry mad

Kriston
    Our district can't afford to hire another school psych. so the one at my son's school is responsible for 4 different elementary schools. That's over 1000 kids. My son, they say, needs to socialize with children his own age, they don't have the staff or time to make it happen.

My son needs to have pull out to go with older children for math and reading, but with so many kids failing, the remedial teacher can't add another kid. So he loses out. My son qualified for on-line classes, if there is not enough staff, they will not be able to provide him a computer to take those classes.

When you say it doesn't cost more money.... I am not sure what you mean? If they can't provide him a specialized program because they have to spend all of there extra time and resources on kids that are going to fail the test..... They don't have the extra staff, nor do they have the money to hire the extra staff.

Our districts budget just got cut by $3,000,000.... guess where they care going to cut back? I heard it from the horses mouth, any special program, like the gifted program the high school has managed to hang on to, and a head start program for kids that are in high risk groups, will be gone.So the cycle of failing kids will continue for a few years. Until there is money to hire more staff.

In a large urban district, where most of the students come from poverty or just above poverty.... money or the lack of makes a difference.

Originally Posted by Jool
    Does it really put that much of a financial or staffing burden on a district to educate the high academic ability kids?! According to Teaching Gifted Children in the Regular Classroom, it doesn't. I can tell you that our district is spending more time and resources on meetings, letters, phone calls, etc. dealing with my advocating for DS than if they would just let him do an online math course in place of the regular math a few times a week... Plus, you'd think a district would be motivated to keep kids like DS in the district who are a shoe-in for getting "advanced" on the standardized tests, thus more $$. confused

Why not just have an acceleration policy and be done with it?

High grades, supporting test scores, and assent from the parents and children.

That's how it was done in my case 20+ years ago. On the FIRST day I arrived in the district.

Why do things have to be so difficult?

Last edited by Austin; 01/02/09 03:35 PM.
    Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Oh, of course, Dottie! I know I was intending minimum standards in this discussion. You KNOW I want individualized education!

Honestly, I'm not sure I'm pro having big-picture standards, given that most people aim to do the minimum that's required and no more. I think it ultimately sets the bar too low. But I suspect it's unavoidable to have them in some form. I mean, we have them now and have had them for as long as I know. Certainly since we saw the end of the 1-room schoolhouse...

But one way or another, I do think that some minimum level of education must be granted to all. So how do you communicate that level without big-picture standards? It's what state licensure is about. It's what NCLB is about. It's what state laws about education are about. It's already there in the system.

Kriston
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM