Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #3343 09/04/07 11:00 AM
    Val Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I just posted this idea on another thread, and thought I'd give it it's own topic.

My two eldest kids (5 & 7) go to a French immersion school. The school is private but I know that language immersion schools exist in public school districts (Miami or nearby, New Orleans and Palo Alto, for example; possibly LA). My kids spend 60-70% of their time in a French-speaking classroom. They didn't know any French when they started school and the new language means that 60-70% of classroom time was/is a big challenge for them at first. Plus they're learning a second language.

Also, the French system doesn't emphasize the "high stakes" stuff that so many US schools emphasize, and so they devote most of kindergarten to developing fine motor skills. This has been a big plus for my kids (actually, for all the kids in the kindergarten, I think).

We face the same difficulties with the English program that so many people discuss here, but at least the problem only exists for 90 minutes a day instead of all day. My Little Dude (age 5) came home from day 2 of kindergarten and said "Voila!" after he put his dinner plate on the counter.

I'm not saying the school is perfect, but this option seems to work well for our kids for now.

Has anyone else tried this option? Would anyone like me to post my list of URLs for immersion schools?

Regards,

Val

yes ! do post the URL list! by all means!
    Trin

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Val Offline OP
    OP Offline
    This is a URL with a long list of schools. It's not comprehensive (our school isn't there, for example), but it's good general list.

http://www.cal.org/resources/immersion/ImmersionList.aspx

Val

Very interesting and helpful link!
    Thanks Val ((big smile))
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    My daughter is in a Spanish immersion program. I also believe that it is one of the best options for gifted kids. There is plenty of challenge for the first couple of years so you get to put off advocating for more extreme differentiation for a while. I have posted information about my daughter's program in other threads on this board, but if anyone would like more information just let me know.

Summer

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM