Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 309 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    W
    W
    Originally Posted by Mia
    We just had a big hit in "A Series of Unfortunate Events" with ds6 ... read each of the first two in about an hour and a half each, straight through. He loved them!

YES - Lemony Snicket is AWESOME! Warning though: my DD8 is quite sensitive (we always say her imagination is too vivid) and was too scared to read the first book a couple of years ago. Then this spring, she soared through all 13 in a couple of weeks - I couldn't buy them fast enough! So if yours is sensitive too, it may mean waiting until s/he is ready.

W
    W
    Sorry I keep posting long-winded messages; obviously, we are big readers!

I wanted to make sure you all know about the Scholastic Warehouse Sales. We have a warehouse near us (check http://www.scholastic.com/bookfairs/events/warehouse/). We're on their mailing list, so twice/year usually Dec. and May, they email us an announcement of their upcoming sale. I think all books are at least 50% off with the exception of a short list that are 'only' 30% off. We spend about $150 each time and bring home 1-2 cases of books. My DD8 just goes to the box whenever she wants a new book (luckily she loves to re-read her favorites, so they tend to last about 6 months).

That reminds me: one of the best books we've ever gotten at their warehouse sale is "The Princess Academy". DD8 has read it at least 2 dozen times. I happened to pick it up because it won a medal (we tend to love all children's medal winners, but usually don't love adult winners - what does that say about my maturity level ;-)...). Another one we got there that may appeal to the original princess that started this thread is Ella Enchanted.

M
    M
    I had one more thought--has your daughter read "Miss Hickory" by Carolyn Sherwin Bailey? Reaching back deep into the mists of time (!), I remember that this was one of my favourite books when I was five. Miss Hickory is an appletwig doll with a nut head (hazel? acorn? can't remember) and a corncob cabin; she gets left behind by her human family one hard winter, and has to live outdoors with the animals instead of in the house. One slightly disturbing touch at the end--a squirrel eats her head!!! (I remember my small self being startled but not grieved by this--don't know how your DD would feel.) But she grafts her body onto an apple tree, and so lives on forever near her family's house.

Austin, we love A Wrinkle in Time, too--I haven't read the rest of the series, though. The Black Stallion is also v. good--have you seen the Coppola film as well? Very beautiful, I think.

peace
    minnie

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM