Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 17 of 268 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 267 268
    That is a great proud momma moment!

I am very proud this morning. DS6 (birthday was this week) wrote his first song on the piano this morning. He'd been trying to work out the notes since yesterday and had a break through this morning. He found a notebook and wrote all the notes and lyrics out so he wouldn't forget.

I even found a website to print out blank music sheets so I could help him write it out properly on the music staff. He needs to work a little more on the chords for the last 2-3 measures but otherwise it actually sounds very nice.

I am so proud. He has only been taking formal lesson since October and we got our own piano just after Thanksgiving. Neither DH or I have ever even played an instrument so this is a whole new world for us.

Crisc
    Kriston,

That definitely sounds like it could have been a great mentor opportunity. I hope you got his name and number.

OHG,

Do you think your grandson will pursue other theater opportunities now?

Crisc
    Wow! Such talented kids!

Congratulations, OHG! Recovering from a flub with grace so that no one realizes that you blew it is the hardest part of being on stage, by far. That's really amazing! Very poised! Pros have trouble with that. You should be extremely proud.

Crisc, yay for the song! So wonderful! smile

As for me, I didn't do so well. I didn't ask the guy for his name or number. I hadn't spent very long talking to him--his comments to me were given as we passed one another in the hall as I was leaving and he was entering--and I had no way to know how much my son liked him until after I was back in the waiting room and the man was already in the MRI tube. No time to chat with him after that.

Next time...

I do like the idea of the vets talking to the homeschool group. Hmmm... I'll work on that one! Thanks!

Kriston
    GS9 is definitely interested in doing more acting. In addition to more opportunites at church, there are some opportunites at local community art centers where he's been taking art classes. He's my little Renaissance man! This is one advantage of not being challenged at school, he has almost no homework so he has time for a lot of after school activites, and I always have extra books to challenge his brain when he's not busy.

Originally Posted by Kriston
    I was getting an MRI for my migraines. Coming in behind us--also waiting forever--was a Korean War veteran. (So, probably close to 70, right? He was over there in 1950...)

We struck up a conversation with the man, and they started comparing foreign language notes. The guy taught DS some Korean and some Italian. DS taught him Arabic and Spanish. It was just adorable! They continued when I left the waiting area and went into "the tube." By the time I came out 45 minutes later, they were busom buddies! DS had learned the entire naval semaphore code (the one using flags) and was talking about wishing we could see the guy again. And the man was raving about how wonderful DS was to talk to, how smart, how much fun, how lucky I was to have him for a son. They apparently talked the entire time and both had a blast.

Just heartwarming! I was a really proud momma! smile

This man could have been my father (RIP), and may be closer to 80. He was an officer. My father would have be willing to become lifelong friends with a child like your son. I wonder if you could leave a note with the MRI staff for the next time he comes in (the staff cannot give you the name of another patient). What a wonderful story!

Just call your local VFW. They can help!

Not quite a brag but pretty close....

DS4.5 got Junior Monopoly from my mum for Christmas, age on the box 5-9. Not only can he play, read all the chance cards, work out the cost landing the booths (you have to pay double if 2 on the same colour are owned) and correct change. He also started to work out the different combinations of notes you could use to pay and he's also memorized the rules - we no longer need the instruction booklet!
    I think maybe Nanny should have got the real version!

We were at a store today and DD (28 mths) wanted to walk instead of ride in the cart. She gave such a good argument that I gave in with specific instructions about staying with us. I was viewing something on the shelf and out of the corner of my eye I saw DD dart in front of a lady and by the look on her face I assumed she was annoyed. So I got after DD about not being 'rude' which I was quickly corrected by the lady that DD was not rude and had said excuse me before passing in front of her. So the look was shock not annoyance.

And on a cute note: I was watching Sound of Music since it was on TV and one of my favs. They were in the middle of the good night song as the kids went up the stairs right when DD was being put to bed herself. So she decided to act out the scene on her own including going up the stairs like the youngest child. Of course she did not know all the words to the song but she had the melody and some of the main sections all from viewing it once. It was really cute.

B
    BKD Offline
    B
    We thought DSthen3 was holding out on us a year ago when he chipped in with an answer to a maths question to DSthen5 - but he just WOULDN'T do it again once he realised we'd noticed. So we're driving home from an outing on the weekend and DS6 insists on being asked maths questions. DS4 listened quietly for a while and then joined in!!! We weren't imagining it - he really can tell you what 32 plus 7 is! (School will be so exciting for him - he'll learn how to count to ten)

And a DS6 brag - we were at a friend's place yesterday and the bigger kids (5-10) were playing a treasure hunting game. Another friend's 2YO decided to join in, but was bowled over by most of the bigger kids, who didn't even notice him. My lovely boy stopped, went back, took his hand and said "come on, you're on my team - look, can you see something over there". I was so proud of him.

Page 17 of 268 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM