Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 217 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Hi shellymos, DD is 6 now and still does it all the time, I think I've just gotten use to it. I've never asked her why she does it. I don't want her to feel weird about it, but maybe I should, I've always thought it's how she memorizes things so quickly. So if you find out there's a reason why they do this please share. smile

N
    N
    I remember reading in the Eides' book (what is it called, again?) that we have different kinds of long-term memory, which all function independently, and most of us have a preference. I believe they identified visual, auditory, and motor, and perhaps something else. Anyway, I thought it was really interesting because I actually learned how to spell words by using my motor memory. When thinking about how to spell a word, I often trace the word in the air (though these days my finger barely moves). Or I think about what motions my fingers would make on the keyboard (and my fingers may or may not twitch along with my thoughts).

I wonder if the mouthing is not the same sort of thing? Using one's motor memory to memorize things not typically associated with motor function? I'd recommend the Eides' book regardless--it was truly fascinating.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    I just found this odd link and apparently they are not the only one. Check it out, it is quite interesting.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Speech-Disorders-987/f/son-repeats-word-sentences.htm

B
    B
    Wow, very interesting, shellymos!

DS8 repeats sometimes, but not really under his breath and he doesn't seem to limit it to the last few words. With him, it seems more like he was proud of whatever he said and wants to savor it - everything from a silly wisecrack to an insightful observation. I also agree with Chris that it might have something to do with the way the words feel in his mouth.

But now I'll have to listen more closely to see if he whispers the tail-ends, too.

Mr W has done this since a very early age.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    I think it is funny that Einstein did it as well. Quite interesting.

Interesting link! I haven't noticed dd, now almost 3.5 doing this much anymore, I'll have to try to check her out when she's encountering a new word, in case that makes a difference, but I guess she is on to other interesting and puzzling behavior for the most part...
    BonusMom, my PG brother would definitely do the sort of repeating you describe, sort of mull over what 'pearl' of great humor he just granted the world...(as his sister, I definitely roll my eyes when he does this, even now, but really in light of dd, maybe it is sort of a mouth-feel thing for him, too!)

M
    M
    Wow, shellymos, this is another way that your DS is like mine!

I have noticed recently that my son also does this. It's not all the time, but enough that I have noticed it. When he does it, he will repeat, in a very low whisper, the last few words of the sentence that he just said.

Great information shellymos, looks like a lot of kids do this. The one thing I did notice is most of the parents just notice that their children started doing this, DD been doing this pretty much since she was about 18 months old from what I remember, didn't think much of it at the time. Sounds like they grow out of it from what they say on that link (good thing). thanks again smile

We've noticed DD8mos doing this now. It's really strange. She actually woke up one night in the middle of the night and was just whispering to herself and then eventually fell back asleep. It sounded like she was practicing the "th" sound?

Lately she'll whisper a lot when practicing words or after something I said...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM