Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 138 of 268 1 2 136 137 138 139 140 267 268
    O
    O
    Originally Posted by Ellipses
    Our daughter is ranked first in her class. She is in her freshman year in high school. For years, she had so much trouble turning in homework and organizing herself. Suddenly, she is taking care of all of it herself. Yea!

Wonderful. Some days this subject is exahausting us, but it feels like it's getting better.

U
    U
    "Of course it isn't! It's a chemical reaction!"

smile

DS (just turned 4) and I just toured a pre-K in preparation for possibly enrolling next fall. They had a big board full of sight words in the classroom, which he of course walked up to and gleefully read. (His response when I told him we were going to go tour a big-kids school was "Where they will teach me to READ MORE WORDS?") So that got a bit of a response. Then they asked him if he liked to play on the computer, to which he replied, "I like to play computer chess. Do you have a chess club?" (His sister is in chess club at her school.)

Last edited by ultramarina; 02/29/12 09:07 AM.
    It might seem like a weird thing to be bragging about, but... DD7 just got knocked down for the first time in a soccer game last weekend.

She's been playing for months now and showing flashes of ability, but there's always been something holding her back from putting in her best effort, and as a result she spent a lot of time ball watching. We knew this was coming from a highly-developed sense of fair play, where she was afraid of hurting any of the other girls, and she had no tolerance if someone was going to be making contact with her.

Endless coaching from her coaches and parents hadn't yielded any results. Finally, I sat her down at the computer and we watched video of women's World Cup action, and I pointed out where the players were making contact and the refs were doing nothing. Her next practice was a revelation.

On game day she was always in the thick of the action in the first half. That's when she got knocked down (on incidental contact), and she got right back up and into the play. In the second half the mind was still willing, but the body was not. Poor dear wore herself out in the first half.

W
    W
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    "Of course it isn't! It's a chemical reaction!"

smile

DS (just turned 4) and I just toured a pre-K in preparation for possibly enrolling next fall. They had a big board full of sight words in the classroom, which he of course walked up to and gleefully read. (His response when I told him we were going to go tour a big-kids school was "Where they will teach me to READ MORE WORDS?") So that got a bit of a response. Then they asked him if he liked to play on the computer, to which he replied, "I like to play computer chess. Do you have a chess club?" (His sister is in chess club at her school.)

LOL Sounds just like Wolf, the one you quoted.

Butter has a penpal. When her first letter came, she ran right upstairs to read it, then hurried back down to pester me for a piece of paper to write back right away!

I know alot of our kids have writing issues and Butter and I have gone to the mat over it, so its great to see her so excited about pen and paper. ANd yes, she WROTE it with her hands, NOT the computer!

I get excited when the library lets me know my books are ready for pickup...
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by 2giftgirls
    Butter has a penpal. When her first letter came, she ran right upstairs to read it, then hurried back down to pester me for a piece of paper to write back right away!

I know alot of our kids have writing issues and Butter and I have gone to the mat over it, so its great to see her so excited about pen and paper. ANd yes, she WROTE it with her hands, NOT the computer!

So neat! What a great intrinsic motivator.

W
    W
    Once again, not exactly a brag, but it made me laugh a LOT.

We were going through the third grade STAR test pretest (state mandated stupidity) and got to a section about Tables of Contents and Indexes. There was something called a "clue" on the page explaining what the two things were (isn't that what they are testing?!? The kids' knowledge of what they are???). At this point Wolf(7) dropped his head onto the test (a pile of paper as big as his seventh grade science book) then looked up at me, eyes wide in disbelief saying, "I knew that in PRESCHOOL!!!"

J
    J
    Where are you? We are in Northern California. My third grader last year told me how dumb he thought the STAR tests were- they had questions about telling time, which he thought was some kind of a joke! He got the highest possible score- I think he only missed one on math and one on reading.

W
    W
    Santa Cruz County area, PM me if you are nearby, maybe the kids can meet or something.

Wolf was close to the top, just missed a few because for some strange reason he forgot synonyms and antonyms that day.

M
    M
    Latest DS3 quote: "There are over two hundred billion stars in the Milky Way Galaxy." Apparently he read this in Terrence Dickinson's, 'The Universe and Beyond.' Thanks for letting me share this!

Page 138 of 268 1 2 136 137 138 139 140 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM