Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 12 of 268 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 267 268
    Yay! smile I really love girls loving math!

So any tips to share there, jojo? What are you doing that's working so well?

Kriston
    J
    J
    I've been focusing on improving calcultation skills this term. To "perform" well in maths, you really need to be able to calculate easily and effortlessly. And there are lots of things that you can do while driving in the car, in the bath, brushing teeth, etc. to improve your child's mental maths. Such as:

1. number partners to 10, 20, 50 and 100. You say 3, she says 7. You say 6, she says 4. You say 17, she says 3, etc.

2. Doubles. Just basic stuff like 6+6 and then moving onto 23+23 and then moving on to 38+38. You say 6, she says 12. You say 42, she says 84.

3. Near doubles. Recognising the doubling process and then adding of subtracting 1. 6+6 and then 6+7, etc.

4. Multiplication games like www.multiplication.com to get instant recal for timestables. Where Miss 7 has had difficulties really mastering these, I've used visual spatial stories like tree times tree is line to help.

5. And good ol' mathletics.

With Miss 4, I try to make things more concrete. Counting buttons, making number lines, adding/subtracting pasta, and playing with dice (roll 2 dice - what's the biggest number you can make, what's the smallest number you can make, adding the numbers together, subtracting them, etc.) Mathletics is good and it helps to have mobile wireless so I can whip it out while big sister is doing gymnastics or other lessons.

Perhaps this might spark some inspiration? jojo

Am I correct in understanding that Mathletics is a curriculum that you purchased? And are you in Australia?

Sounds great!

Last edited by NTmom; 12/06/08 10:41 PM. Reason: Forgot to ask where you were
    J
    J
    Yep, we're down under. We use www.mathletics.com.au as a supplementary teaching tool. I normally devise a lesson plan around a theme and use mathletics to reinforce the lesson. For example, if we're looking at area, we'll do some kinetic type activities first and then log on to mathletics to find a complementary activity. It's not a curriculum per se but it's supposedly linked to the NSW curriculum (whatever that means!)

jojo

Oh jojo,

Can we come visit you? I would love to be in the summer months right now! I know I am whinning and those that are up north are probably rolling their eyes at this Texas girl but I hate hate hate the cold and this winter looks like it might get real cold (for us anyway). I would love to have Christmas in shorts!

J
    J
    Excellent! We could do a house swap? I would love to see a white Christmas. How amazing would that be? And you could have a BBQ Xmas in the pool! Truthfully, it hasn't even begun to get hot here. The kids are living in the pool already and I reckon they'll grow scales before the holidays are out. And we've got just 4 more school days, then 56 holiday home-days. Yippeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You so would not see a white Christmas here. Maybe (If you are lucky) an ice Christmas. wink You might want to swap with someone that lives in the northern states. I do find your school system fascinating. They get 56 holiday home-days. Around here we get 2 to 2 1/2 weeks off. If I worked, I wouldn't know what to do with the kids for that long.

L
    L
    We have a high of 18 degrees (Fahrenheit) here on Wednesday - is that cold enough? We don't always have a white Christmas but I'll guarantee it will be cold enough for you in the midwest.

We've got snow now! The kids were out sledding this afternoon.

Kriston
    Oh sure battle it out with your snow zones taking my dream of down under away! So jojo, I can't offer the snow filled Christmas you dream of BUT I can (drum roll please) offer a lovely cactus filled Christmas. Just think about it. Instead of building a snowman (So over rated in my opinion) you could build a tumbleweed man. How cool is that! Add to that some Cowboy hats and boots with spurs. Now I ask you, isn't that sooo much better than a white Christmas?

Page 12 of 268 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM