Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 10 of 268 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 267 268
    In some subcultures this might be a brag. I don't think its a brag, but its funny.

Mr W ( 10m) and I went shopping this week at the grocery store. The cupboard and fridge were empty and even the mice were complaining of not having any crumbs.

So, at checkout the cart was FULL. $400 full.

While I was busy unloading the cart, Mr W was examining the offerings of candy and tabloids from his perch in the cart seat. He grabbed a few things to look over and when he seemed done, I would take them from him and put them back.

The Altoids boxes fascinated him the most and we repeatedly played take-remove-put back until he seemed satiated with the Altoids and just sat quietly in his seat until I was done.

We arrived home and I put him on the floor so I could go outside and get the groceries.

When I came back, he was swinging an Altoids box and giving his campaign speech (DAHADHA! DafCHUCKAWAYAYY! ) , smiling at me. shocked

I was shocked. I took the box from him, "You little Hoodlum! You stole that!!"

He laughed right back at me.

I got more groceries and when I came back, he had ANOTHER BOX!!! shocked

He had not moved from where I left him.

I unzipped his jacket - and there was one more box inside of it!!!

He stole THREE Altoids boxes!!

This morning I caught him taking my wife's stuff from her nightstand to put it in her laptop case - her lip gloss, keys, and phone.. LOL. Had I not seen it, we would have been looking hard for her keys.

ACS, that is a great!

M
    M
    Dottie and Austin, very fun stories!!

And acs, good for your son--that's terrific!

Chico (3) has been printing a lot lately, in fact, it has been his major preoccupation for a couple of weeks (he writes "theme" pages,with one word per line--there's the knight, sword, shield, joust, etc. page, the stethoscope, needle, tongue depressor, medicine, etc. page, and so on--he gets help with spelling from whomever happens to be around when it's a word he hasn't done before). He's been drawing his own horizontal lines on blank sheets to use as ruling, and it's been neat to see how evenly sized and spaced the letters are.

So I was a little taken aback to come across some of these sheets yesterday with most of the letters nice and big and even, with some teeny tiny little ones in several of the words--Frenchie and I had a closer look, and lo, the little monkey had made all the silent letters small!

Kids are so much fun!

minnie

L
    L
    Funny story...

I was talking to dd5 about global warming last night. The conversation started with the basics. The earth is getting warmer because of pollution etc. etc... Well dd kept asking more and more detailed questions and her voice sounded as if she were on the verge of tears. Finally I stopped answering because it she was so upset. I asked - Honey are you worried about all of this? She answered Yes! so I asked - What exactly are you worried about? Her response, "Well I really just don't like the heat" LOL!!!

Have to put in a brag....

Two days ago, DD9 was in her classroom where the Teacher was trying a new schedule. Well, unfortunately the schedule was wrong and had too many kids doing the same thing at the same time. DD said that the teacher tried several configurations to try to get every student to do every activity planned for the day and just couldn't get it arranged. DD took one look at the chart, reaaranged it and it worked the first time!

She loves puzzles, math and patterns!!! (I wish she could organize her room that easily! lol)

Aside: LOVE the Altoid story!!!

Originally Posted by lanfan
    Funny story...

I was talking to dd5 about global warming last night. The conversation started with the basics. The earth is getting warmer because of pollution etc. etc... Well dd kept asking more and more detailed questions and her voice sounded as if she were on the verge of tears. Finally I stopped answering because it she was so upset. I asked - Honey are you worried about all of this? She answered Yes! so I asked - What exactly are you worried about? Her response, "Well I really just don't like the heat" LOL!!!

I don't know if this will help, but a smart HS kid turned me on to this site.

It looks like most of the "heating" is due to poor USHCN station siting. Most of the stations surveyed are non-compliant.

http://surfacestations.org/odd_sites.htm

You could look up the USHCN stations in your area and submit a report. Its very easy to do. And its real science and you are DOING something.

Okay I had a proud momma moment last night with my DD 27 mths. She had brought her doodlepad into a restaurant last night and happily went to drawing. For the most part she has been drawing volumuos creatures with some features up to this point. Of course, nothing recognizable, but last night I looked over and she had drawn a baby bird coming out of a nest. It had eyes and a mouth as well as little wings. There was shading in the nest and a sense of volume in the bird. She even told me it was a bird in a nest. As an artist I was thrilled and just had to take a picture before it got wiped clean.

W
    W
    I got the best brag. I bought my tree and put it up. Have all my presents done. Packages sent. I am so so cool.

Hope everyone is doing well in this holiday season. Tis not the happiest of times for the world.

Ren

Wren,

We have a term for people like you: OCD!!! laugh

You know I am just jealous. We do have our tree up but still have to get the garland up and certainly do not have anything under the tree at this point!!

And I second your well wishes. My prayer this year is for all the families hit hard by the economy.

Tree is up. Presents are almost all bought but none yet wrapped. We made applesauce-and-cinnamon ornaments for homeschool art class today, and DH made soap (from lye and bacon grease!) this summer to give away, so most of our homemade gifting is done. Yay! smile

BUT...

I still haven't gotten the holiday cards and newsletter done. I'm usually just about finished by this time of the month, and I've barely even brainstormed for ideas. Nothing is on paper yet. I haven't even taken a photo of the boys for the card. eek

It's such a long, cold month. *sigh*

Way to go, Ren! smile

Kriston
    Page 10 of 268 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM