Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    What is interesting is that he seems to be doing great lately, that is why it surprises me. He was "kicked out" of his first pre-k this year after less than a month, now he has been in a new one for 2 months and he seems to be doing well there behaviorally. They understand him pretty well and are trying to work with him to challenge him some, but have told me that that he is way above the other children and does seem to get bored during circle time (which the teacher says she completely understands). I don't think the program is at all challenging for him 80% of the time, but they do a few things with him that are challenging on occasion and he gets to jump around and play in their gym which he loves. So we have been considering Montessori and making a switch (the director keeps calling me and asking me to try him there), but we didn't feel good about another transition this year. I would just like him to be able to stay somewhere and make relationships without being thrown all around. So we had pretty much decided that since his behavior was pretty good he wasn't too distressed and he seems to like pre-k in what he says (although many days he says he doesn't want to talk about pre-k...but my theory is that the conversation bores him). So now he goes and says "I'm tired of being me" in the context of preschool and it is making us reconsider. Not that being in montessori will help him fit in more, but still. (sigh).... just when I think there will be a moment of calm I go and question my decision to keep him there.

I'm so sorry shellmos - how hard it must be to hear your kid say that. frown Our DS4, in his 2nd year of pre-k, had been saying he hated preschool for weeks, and i finally i asked the preschool teacher and she told me of an incident. (Apparently, he was balking and doing things that he already knew, and she finally said, you still have to show me, and that's when the hating preschool started.) We're still debating on whether to take him out of pre-k after christmas - it seems to have run its course.

Anyway, lately he has switched over from I hate preschool to "i hate this family." This happens whenever we have him do something he doesn't want to do - like hurry, e.g. So for our kid, the comments are definitely related to having to do something he doesn't want to do.

Maybe you can talk to the teacher to see if she knows of a recent trigger? Good luck!

Oh - and i'll just relate something DH said to me when i told him we should maybe pull out DS. He said that if things are really that bad, then yes, but he said he doesn't want DS to get the idea that if he's not liking school for some reason or another, he can just quit. It's tricky with these kids though!

P
    P
    I wonder what type of preschool it is that your son goes to. Both of my kids went to/still goes to play-based daycare centers (not Montessori), and it is good experience for both. These centers don't have much structured play, they do circle time, sure, but that doesn't take much time. The rest of the time is divided into outdoors, puzzle time, reading time, role-play time, etc., during these activities kids can choose whatever they want to do under the general theme. The teachers simply guide the kids in whatever activities that the kids choose, and they watch the kids, figure out what they might need and provide them with it. At puzzle time, for example, a kid can be doing a four-piece puzzle while another busy with a 100-piece puzzle. At reading time, some listen to a teacher reading to them; others read to the teacher. At math time, some might do simple counting games, one or two might be doing division games. I remember once I was really impressed by a few kids who were looking at a world map together trying to locate the places that they (or their parents) had been to. I really liked this arrangement because the open-ended activities give everyone something that's appropriate to their levels. For a while my son (the year before he entered K) was really into World War II and the teachers let him bring his favorite WWII books to the daycare, read with him, copied pictures of tanks and airplanes for other kids who got interested in the books. And I remember my son once built a huge "river system" in the yard over several days and all the other kids were sailing their boats in it. And once the teachers told me that they bought a bunch of new math toys which were more advanced than what they had, because my son would be ready for those very soon. I'm not sure what my point really is. I guess it's that non-Montessori schools can work out well, too. You need to find out how much flexibility they have, and how willing the teachers are to let the kids take the initiative.

Anyway, my kids have had/is having a great time at daycare. So when DS entered the public school system, imagine our shock!

Well, without knowing your situation I might have just written something totally irrelevant. But here it is anyway.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Thanks! your post was completely relevant. Your program sounds great. He is in a similar play-based pre-k but probably with less resources. There are 2 teachers and 10 students. It's only 2.5 hrs 3 days a week. They have a big gym they play in, they have "music and movement," weekly sign language which he enjoys, craft time (which he typically finds boring based on the simplicity of the crafts,but sometimes enjoys),they have snack time, and centers that they go to. They try to add some more challenging things for him, and have done some workbooks and math games with him.

I am glad that you posted that because lately I have been feeling that maybe he needs to be in Montessori and yet I don't want to move him and the program (location and time of program) is completely inconvenient for us. His current teacher is great and she really is interested in learning different things and how to work with him best. She has asked other teachers that teach older grades for assistance and has brought things from home and borrowed things from others(she used to teach 1st and 6th grades in the past). She has expressed that Montessori may be a better fit in some ways because they have more manipulatives and can work with him more at his level. While this program has different things, most are tailored to 4 year olds. I wonder if that will keep him occupied through the year. It may though. The one thing she has mentioned is she notices he gets antsy and acts out a little during circle time. She says he has a hard time sitting during this and feels it is because the topic is so simple (today is December 5th, what comes after 5? Right 6, so what day will tomorrow be?). Also she says that he seems to be bored with the same songs and routine, while the others seem to enjoy it. Anyhow, she is open to suggestions and even recently talked about maybe doing something a little different with him during circle time, which I am definitely okay with. He does have some structure there and routine, so he shouldn't be too shocked when he goes to K, although 2 - 3X the amount of children every morning with one less teacher may be a little different. We are possibly looking into a private school in our area if they can give us some assistance. But I plan to visit both our public school and the one private school we may be able to afford to see which is better for K. Both have perks I am sure.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM