Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 213 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    OP Offline
    I am in the midst of checking. There is only one more in the area.

acs Offline
    I think it is totally reasonable to let the office or doctor know that you are worried about how much it costs. Ask if there are ways to find out what insurance typically pays, if the office will write off a certain amount if the insurance doesn't pay, if there are certains tests he thinks you can reasonably skip or postpone to save money, etc.

Many offices are very open working with you financially, but usually you have to ask. Most doctors are trained to do what they think is the best medically and are actually not aware of costs unless specifically asked. At least that has been my experience.

OP Offline
    Thanks again for your input!!! I found another doctor who charges 50% less than the doc we saw! Her office indicated that they end up with a good number of patients from the first doc because he charges $6000.00 UP FRONT for therapy!! Yikes!! So we would be forking over almost $10,000 in a very short period of time. I don't know about any of you, but I don't have that kind of money lying around!

We saw this guy the day before Thanksgiving and the check becleared our account on Monday!!

This, along with a few other "feely" red flags lead me to beleive (after the smoke cleared) that this is not the Doc for us, even though we know babybear needs that kind of help!

Nothing ever comes easy does it!!

Send good thoughts!!!!!!

I'm glad you found a better option! I've learned to listen to my spidey sense very closely as I get older! wink

OP Offline
    My spidey sense can often be set in hyperwarp when it comes to the children....Fatherbear often reminds me but it appears we are both on the same page at this point.

ugh...and pardon my grammar and spelling on the last post...oh my!!

S
    S
    Didn't read all the responses yet, but no schools don't make money for kids on ADHD (at least not that I have ever heard of). I think teachers and schools find it easier to manage behaviors and suggest meds at times (however I don't at all feel it is a teachers place to suggest medication to a parent at any time). I work in a school as a social worker and have many years working with children with mental health issues and have suggested consultations (and possibly medication if recommended by a dr.) to parents that clearly have Achildren with ADHD and often parents have opposed this...and their children are clearly struggling. Don't get me wrong. I am not a fan of putting kids on drugs when not needed, I am a fan of doing all you can first...but when all else fails and it is chemical imbalance and you see their self-esteem failing because of it...then I feel that it is time to look into other options. I look at it this way, what are the side effects of giving them the medication vs. the side effects of not.

OP Offline
    shelly...Have you ever consoled a mother who's son died as a result of ADD drug use? I have. I realize that research indicates that this is a one in a million chance, but how do you know which kid is the millionth one?

I also know that my nephew has suffered serious side affects and DH's nephew is incarcerated for drug trafficing that began with his Ritalin prescription

Again, every parent has to make their own choice and for me, these experiences speak very loudly against medications for my child.

S
    S
    Originally Posted by Mamabear
    shelly...Have you ever consoled a mother who's son died as a result of ADD drug use? I have. I realize that research indicates that this is a one in a million chance, but how do you know which kid is the millionth one?

I am sorry you went through that, I have worked with children for years that are on ADHD medications and have never encountered any serious side effects, and have researched medications extensively as well. I will say I have read about a few similar cases usually posted by parents, as I have read about with tylenol and vitamins as well, but I would guess that there is more to the story. I would imagine in the case you have experienced that there was something else going on. Either a doctor that was not experienced in dosage levels was prescribing, or there were signs that were ignored by doctors, or the child took more than one dose at a time. At the clinic I worked at you could call at any time around the clock to speak with someone, and if you had any side effects at all you were to call. We didn't really get calls with ADHD meds, but a few with some other meds.

What I have seen is a TON of is children that have clear ADHD and can not focus on tasks at all. Children that are isolated by peers and are highly impulsive (knocking into kids accidently, blurting things out at inappropriate times, etc.). Children that can't sit when they are asked to sit, and can't do what they are asked to do even when they are trying hard. Children that can't understand why they are different and why the can't make sense of all the stuff going on in there heads and can't organize it. Children that are constantly forgetting things and feeling like there is something wrong with them and that they are stupid when they are not at all. Children that want friends, but have a hard time making/keeping them. Children that if you wait long enough and don't address it become very depressed. I have also met them as adults and heard them talk to me about what it was like before they were diagnosed and treated. I can't even count how many circumstances I have seen like this. Again, I am not a fan of medication for everyone. My philosophy is try everything else first, and if all else fails and you have weighed the side effects then try it. (But if you have ever tried to counsel a child with pretty extreme ADHD that is not on meds, good luck with that).

I have also seen parents that were originally against medication try it with their child (usually they are so against it they wait until after the child is failing and falling apart) these children truly blossom and feel so confident about themselves, it is truly a joy to watch. And despite all those people out there who truly don't know much at all about it and say "my friend had a child on meds who became a complete zombie on ADHD meds" I haven't seen it with ADHD meds. The few stories I have heard are usually about other drugs that people think are ADHD meds or were taken in the wrong manner. And if there were side effects, I would hope they would go back to the doctor to address it because it shouldn't be that way. I am not getting paid by drug companies to do advertisements, and like I said I don't think every kid that can't sit still should be on meds (or else my son would be on ADHD meds as well). I do think that it overdiagnosed in some school systems and doctors offices in children that are either active, gifted, or even sometimes that have parents that don't set clear limits so their child is used to doing whatever. I just can't stand watching how many children truly have ADHD and are suffering because parents don't look into everything and weigh the costs and benefits. I see it often. Parents who say "I would never put my kids on meds" and I just watch their child fall apart more and more each day. It is sad to watch.

OP Offline
    I not post to start an arguement with you.

Yes, I have worked with kids with ADD/ADHD and I agree that there are a FEW cases where meds may be the answer, but as a last resort only. Many parents are unwilling to implement the rigors of a consistant schedule or anything that is inconvenient.

Again, it is a parent's choice and I will leave it at that.

S
    S
    Sorry, I didn't feel like I was arguing and didn't feel you were either. Just sharing thoughts and opinions. I know there are different sides and views on everything, which isn't at all a bad thing.

I agree that often times parents don't want to try other things and go straight for the meds. I have seen that side as well. In my previous job we would never just medicate without working with parents and families, and before medication for ADHD would even be considered parents would have to attend a series of classes about parenting strategies and routines to implement first and info about children with ADHD to better understand how their mind works. They were also educated about different medication options as well. Some parents were very eager to get strategies and then didn't need the medication with some changes at home. Some made changes and still went with meds. But it would always amaze me when we would see parents that were convinced they needed no changes at home and had this attitude like "just give me the meds...NOW!" They act as if it is a magic pill that is going to change everything and make their children little robots.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM