Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 268 1 2 3 4 5 6 267 268
    Sleeping through the night? Woo hoo! Break out the champagne! (That's what we'll do, I bet.)

I love reading about everyone's kids!

My small brag from this weekend is our 22 m.o. DD has a cold and she played Doctor /Nurse /Parent to her stuffed kitty. She looked intently into its eyes and said, "Do you need some medicine, Kitty?" in the most tender and endearing voice, then waited earnestly for a reply. She went on to go through my Pediatric Medicine box and use all its contents on the Kitty - ear thermometer, motrin, gas medicine, Vics Vapo Rub (she can say that), nasal aspirator, nail clippers, an eye dropper and hair brush. I'm not sure if that's gifted, but it sure was cute and I didn't realize she knew what all those things did.

She also used a mini screwdriver to take the plate off the back of a toy. She is constantly saying "It's broken," "It's not working," or "It needs batteries," so it was funny she could finally change batteries herself.

Last edited by seablue; 10/27/08 05:15 PM. Reason: forgot something
    S
    S
    most of my stories of DS4 are just cute and funny stories...or at least that come to mind...but he is pretty funny.

He likes to play a game called "scrambled up word" which he made up himself. He writes out on his board "rsreae dabro" Which was eraser board. He is pretty good. The "board" part was the funniest because after writing the first word out all mixed up (he scrambles them in his head and writes them out pretty quick) he turned to me and was about to whisper and ask me "how do you spell board?" but I stopped him before he said the word and told him to ask his dad. So I hear him upstairs say "no not that kind of board with an e...the board with an a" and then I hear him coming down the stairs whispering to himself "b-o-a-r-d" over and over. How funny. So smart but still just a little 4 yo.

And my DD(16mo) is starting to talk more. It is really neat to see. My DS said a couple hundred words at her age....so to see her start to communicate more with us is great. She is developing her own personality and is just so awesome. And I LOVE watching them both together. They can play forever chasing eachother around.

L
    L
    This is my favorite story. When DD5 was at a well baby checkup at 15months the doctor asked her is she could say something simple like "ball" or "cat" and she responded, "I can't talk I'm just a baby" LOL!!! Talking and humor :-)

Wow Shelly. Your little DS4 is amazing! My dd7 loves stuff like that but to have that ability to manipulate language at 4 is truly exceptional. Good for him!

Last edited by lanfan; 10/30/08 05:31 AM. Reason: wanted to add something
    Isa Offline
    Actually I have another brag:

when DD was two and two months she made the remark that real cats do not wear clothes and talk and started to asked questions about real cows or horses, etc.

Two months later she made the remark that 'Sinterklaas' (the Dutch version of Santa) is when papa and mama have hidden presents in the cabinet under the stairs...

This is just a small brag, but it was one of those "oh, yes, he's a bit different" moments. I'm pointing out the shadow play of a lit pumpkin in the dark. Me: "hey - look at the wall." DS4: "The pumpkin is projecting images on the wall."

Originally Posted by lanfan
    This is my favorite story. When DD5 was at a well baby checkup at 15months the doctor asked her is she could say something simple like "ball" or "cat" and she responded, "I can't talk I'm just a baby" LOL!!! Talking and humor :-)

Wow! Astonishing and apropos! Does she still have the same sense of humor? Dry, wry, or otherwise sarcastic? Amazing for a 15 m.o. baby!

L
    L
    Yes she does. She's a riot!

M
    M
    What a great thread! I wish I could meet all of your kids--they sound wonderful!

Some of my favourite Harpo (now 7) moments:

When he was 2 and just starting to read aloud to us, he'd also spend a long time quietly staring at print of any sort (cereal boxes, whatever). One day, he asked me to type him two pages on the computer, one with lower-case "a" in every font, and one with lower-case "g" in every font. I thought this was a little odd, but I did it, and he carried it around like a talisman for weeks at a time. I finally figured out (I am slow) that those are the only two letters that exist in two different forms, according to font. So then I went up to the university library and got a bunch of books about type design, and he was in hog heaven for months.

When he was three, he'd lie on his bed for more than an hour at a go for about a week, chanting the alphabet slowly to himself. At the end of the week, he came down and said, "there are only five letters where I don't have to do anything with my lips or my teeth, and they are a, e, i, o, and u." Then he went happily out to play.

When he was four, we were waiting in a long line at the bank one day, and to keep him happy, I handed him a bunch of the bank's pamphlets about their services. One of them had to do with the bank's commitment to keeping its customers' personal information confidential, and had a photo on the front of a woman locking up a huge safe. He looked at it for a while and said he'd like to see this safe, where was it? I explained that there wasn't really a safe exactly like that particular one, but that they were trying to get across to people how seriously they took their privacy concerns. He said, "Oh, you mean it's a metaphor?" Every adult head in line snapped back in our direction.

Sorry, too many stories--I have pent-up bragging needs, since I only have one person I can tell this kind of stuff!

peace,
    minnie

Originally Posted by minniemarx
    When he was four, we were waiting in a long line at the bank one day, and to keep him happy, I handed him a bunch of the bank's pamphlets about their services. One of them had to do with the bank's commitment to keeping its customers' personal information confidential, and had a photo on the front of a woman locking up a huge safe. He looked at it for a while and said he'd like to see this safe, where was it? I explained that there wasn't really a safe exactly like that particular one, but that they were trying to get across to people how seriously they took their privacy concerns. He said, "Oh, you mean it's a metaphor?"

Wow! Many adults do not know what a metaphor is. Amazing kiddo!

Originally Posted by minniemarx
    We haven't had any of the kids tested (so I may be deluding myself that I have any business being here in the first place)...

Um. Just had to go find the above quote in another thread...tee hee

Last edited by st pauli girl; 11/02/08 08:34 AM.
    L
    L
    Wow is right! I want to hear more stories about Harpo don't leave them pent up anymore.

Page 4 of 268 1 2 3 4 5 6 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM