Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 241 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #31481 11/23/08 08:07 PM
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    www.cybered.net is going out of business.

Dear CyberEd customers,
    Please be advised that CyberEd, Inc. has decided to discontinue distribution of all products created and/or sold by CyberEd and to cease business operations.

Effectively immediately, CyberEd, Inc. will no longer accept new orders for products sold by or through CyberEd/PLATO Science.

Thank you for all your support and input over the past 14 years. It has been a pleasure and an honor creating effective interactive science software for science teachers and their students.

CyberEd Teaching Resources
    Over the years, CyberEd has developed study guides, test questions, activities and other resources that could be used in conjunction with our award-winning digital courseware content.

These materials will remain available to science teachers through December 10, 2008. Please don�t miss this opportunity to retrieve these materials before they are no longer available.

Please note that PLATO Learning will continue to offer subscription-based access to our science products. Visit www.plato.com or call 800.44.PLATO for more information.

The teacher resources are fabulous - http://www.cybered.net/CyberEd_Index.asp?IndexType=Resources

Who here can tell me how I can easily copy all the links? (For instance, click on biology and check out the links). I can copy the tests and quizzes one by one, as there aren't all that many, but is there anyway to copy some of the many links without linking on them all? I plan to call plato.com tomorrow to see if they can move the info over to their site. Doubtful, but worth a try. Meanwhile, I know there are many on this site with expertise in computers.

Thanks!

questions #31482 11/23/08 08:16 PM
    There are a few pieces of software that you can use to archive a site. Like

http://www.httrack.com/

I just googled on "archive web site". There are probably a few out there you can use.

Also, the waybackmachine at http://www.archive.org/ is very handy if you don't get a chance to do that before a site goes down.

Sad to see a site go out of business, but unfortunately it's not unusual, particularly not now.

JB

JBDad #31483 11/23/08 08:21 PM
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Thanks, JBDad. Do you know how large a site like this would be? Could I just copy it to a dvd using httrack.com? That would be a huge time saver. We're using a few of the courses, and if they continue to offer the others, we'll probably do the others as well. DS8 loves them.

Seems weird to be able to copy a website. Is that legal? It does say help yourself to our resources before it goes down...

questions #31492 11/24/08 05:27 AM
    It's probably not that big of a site, so yes, I'd think it'd fit on a DVD just fine.

If you're just using it to browse a site while you're offline (off the internet) I don't see a problem with it. I'm no lawyer mind you. But in earlier versions of browsers you can tag a site as available when you're offline and many "web acceleration" tools pre-fetch web pages. So I wouldn't worry about it.

JB

JBDad #31494 11/24/08 06:04 AM
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Thanks. They're closing the site - I'd just like access to the info in the future, and they do say help yourself. Definitely worth a try.

Thanks again!

questions #31504 11/24/08 08:02 AM
    So, wait, I'm already confused. Please talk to me as if I were an English major...blush

What's the easiest way for a clueless computer loser user to copy the materials over to a DVD for our use? (I am also a subscriber, so I'm allowed to use them.)

Kriston
    Kriston #31511 11/24/08 09:08 AM
    Take a look at the software here http://www.httrack.com/ I have not use this particular one before, but I have used others. It should allow you to point the tool at a url like http://www.cybered.net and it will "crawl" the site and save all of the pages locally to your hard disk. Then you can burn that to a DVD or put it on your home network for future use.

I have not use httrack so if that one doesn't work well or is confusing to use we can google for other archive software tools. Should be able to find something free.

JB

JBDad #31512 11/24/08 09:16 AM
    Thanks, JBDad. smile

Sorry to be so slow, but once we get past "Turn the computer on," I am easily confused...

Kriston
    Kriston #31549 11/24/08 02:23 PM
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    I emailed them and they are going to try to make everything into a zip file for easy downloading. Save us all the trouble.

questions #31559 11/24/08 04:15 PM
    Ah! Great.

Thanks, Questions. I wouldn't have heard anything about this if you weren't on the ball. smile

Kriston
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM