Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 195 guests, and 32 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    J
    Jenafur Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    The over the article about what the levels of giftedness need. It says that a Level 4 needs no requires a type 111 or type 1V school. How do i find a school like that. I"m pretty sure there is nothing around here like that. But even if their was, I definatly couldn't afford it! We're getting my husband through school, and I"m a stay at home mom. I plan on continuing to be. It there a way that low income families can put their children in these kinds of schools? Also how do i find them? I can't understand how in the world he's going to get all the support he needs. If I were to find a person to test him would that kind of proof help me with the support?
    how would i find such a person?

J
    Jenafur Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    So how do you get schools to let them go to kindergarden early or skip other grades? Isn't it against the rules?

J
    Jenafur Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Lately my son Andrew has been enjoying giving me wrong answers on purpose. I know he knows the right answer.I don't understand why he's doing this. Is that a common gifted child thing to do, or just common in kids?
    Like last night I asked him what his phone number was, and he kept saying he didn't know, when I knew he did. Finally he told me, but then changed the last number to something else and smiled real big and sneaky like. Or we were playing this game where I put down a card that has a picture of something, for instance, a doll, and I put down three different word cards, one of which says doll, and I ask him to point to the card that says doll. Most times he points to the right one, or if he's unsure sometimes to the wrong one; but then other times I know he knows the right answer and he chooses both wrong answers first and thinks it's funny. I just worry that he'll do that in school and the teachers will really think he doesn't know things.

D
    D
    Jen,

I see that your son has just turned three and is starting pre-school. The fact that he has a summer b-day, rather than a fall birthday is definitely a bonus!

I would advise you to start calling schools to ask if they evaluate for early entry into K. I seriously doubt that you will find a public school willing to consider more than one year early entrance, but it wouldn�t hurt to start investigating now if your goal is to get him into K next fall. You might luck out and find a public school that has a process for early entrance. More likely, you will be told that if a child needs to be grade advanced, the teachers will make that recommendation. The worst possible answer is that the school offers an already advanced program, so there is no need to accelerate.

I have read on a YS email list that often the school districts with the least resources, a level I or II, are more flexible in regards to grade acceleration. Level III schools (our public district) are the least likely. One reason cited is that there may be fewer other parents at theI or II school who will be clamoring to have their child accelerated also.

D
    D
    It sounds like you son�s behavior is typical for a gifted or non-gifted child.

Hopefully, he won�t play that game if you bring him in for an educational assessment.

J
    Jenafur Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Good to know, I believe the schools in our town are probably level 1. Its a big farming community (central CA, by Fresno) so it is mostly the Mexican Farm workers, and other low income families. So that makes me feel better, from what you say, maybe it won't be as hard as I thought to get them to let him to start Kindergarden next fall. : )

acs Offline
    We also live in a farm community with a level 1 school. My son is probably a level 4. We have had very little trouble getting his needs met there. He kind of stands out like a sore thumb, but a pleasant sore thumb, adn the teachers seem to really appreciate having them in their class and doing whatever they can to keep his brain engaged. He is always given advanced work to do, but has not ever been full grade accelerated. he is happy and learning.

See my full post "introduction and public school success story" under Educational Advocacy for my full story and what worked for us. Start getting ideas, but don't panic yet. Sure, there are lots of people who have had very real problems, but problems are not inevitable.

B
    bk1 Offline
    B
    Thanks Trinity. I just figured this out last year after a few years of getting sidetracked by people reacting to the g-word.

Jenafur:

FYI, I agree that the level I school is more likely to accelerate. I grew up in poor rural areas and sometimes was in mixed-grade classes. I finally got formally subject-accelerated in the fall of 7th grade when we moved to a big town (27,000 pop) and I marched into the counselor's office and asked for it. I said I already knew the material that was covered. They said, "OK," instantly, before I presented any arguments in favor of acceleration, and the counselor moved me -- the same day -- up at least one grade in most subjects --- every subject I asked for. I told them where I should be!

I don't think they even asked my mom, since they did it instantly. She was actually opposed to acceleration. My brother was one of those so obviously brilliant little kids that he had multiple teachers in various grades (including his first grade teachers) suggest that he be grade accelerated. My mom always refused to allow him to accelerate. She did not respond at all to my fait accompli. I was able to handle it on my own. It was a small town and I could walk to the high school for the necessary classes and there was a half-hour difference in start times. I much preferred the h.s. students to the jr hi students! I joined HS clubs and felt like I fit in a bit better socially.

Of course, by then I had my standardized test record to support what I was asking for -- and they later gave me an IQ test for entry into their gifted program. It is tougher when you don't yet have a history or a record.

I would say don't expect the school to recognize your child is brilliant. He may not manifest himself at school. I didn't at all (daydreaming and getting in trouble for talking and writing my own illustrated books instead of doing classwork) until the second grade state achievement tests came back. For a lot of kids, that's too long to wait. Also, don't expect them to offer acceleration unless you bring it up. Looking back, I should have accelerated much sooner. I was constantly in trouble in second and third grade -- in my recollection, I think I may have been paddled almost every day of third grade for talking and distracting the other students who hadn't finished their work. By 4th, I had learned to rush through the worksheets and bury my head in a book until the rest of the class was done.

Ask for a meeting with staff at the local elementary school. Explain your concerns to the school, in terms of skills and info already learned, thirst for knowledge, as described above, and ask for the school to give him a placement test. I really don't know which to recommend. Perhaps if you look at the Iowa Acceleration Manual?

Good luck,

bk

J
    Jenafur Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Thank you BK1. That helps a lot. Before hearing the opinion of you and a few others on here I was against grade acceleration. Afraid he wouldn't fit in, because he'd be behind physically and socially. But for everyone on here that I have heard about that had children that did so, or did so themselves, It seemed to have really benefited. After preschool this year I'd like to try to get him into Kinder garden next fall.

J
    Jenafur Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Thanks also ACS. That really gives me hope that the school's here might do the same for my son!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM