Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    DS and I do Descartes Cove together. He is fascinated by it and will work on it with me for an hour at a time. I'm teaching him math the way DH teaches the kids to cook. He sees me do math, I talk about the problem solving process, explain definitions and I let him do little jobs like add up numbers (chop celery?) and anything else that he already knows how to do.

That way he is exposed to lots of interesting concepts and higher level reasoning. He loves it so I figure it can't hurt smile

Yes, I think that's probably a very nice mom/son time. smile

That's what I'm probably going to do unless the problem is something that DS7 has already mastered. Then hopefully he could do it on his own. We'll see...

Kriston
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Hi,

I'm back. Restarted the computer today and the dial was working again. Weird. (And I'm using the full version on a PC with Vista Ultimate)

Even though my DS couldn't possibly do Descartes Cove on his own, I ordered it to take advantage of the favorable pricing and figured I'd put it away for a while. Then I opened it to see what it looked like and DS wanted to try it - and loves it. I was following Cathy's lead on this one - math enrichment with mom (Thanks for posting that info a while ago, Cathy).

We started with measurement, as that is all calculations. There are conversions from square inches to square yards, Fahrenheit to C, some exponents, nanometers, etc. I'd have to tell DS what the various units were and then help him set up the multiplication problem. Figured then he could learn to multiply 3.67 x 42 and learn about decimals, etc.

Quite frankly, he has no clue what he's doing, but he hated math after EPGY last year and he wants to spend a day doing Descartes Cove. So I figure let him have fun while making him do the calculations and he'll start to absorb it - and maybe start to enjoy math. He's always learned better by stealth mode anyway - while doing something else, he absorbs the information. I think this is a better introduction for him than a piece of paper with all the conversion formulas on it.

Of course, he's had rather unique issues in school.

One thing I really like about Descartes Cove is the "secret" book with definitions in it. That way, if DS needs to know a definition (what is a perfect number?) to do a problem, it teaches him not to just throw up his hands and say, "I don't know how to do this!" Instead, we can look it up in the book or use the gold coins to buy a hint.

I've also let him use a calculator for some calculations that he doesn't know how to do yet. The problems take us a long time (and a lot of diagrams and scratch paper) to do. But he seems to enjoy them because they are not repetitious.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM