Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    Ania Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Cym wrote
    So Ania, what did your DD think about the writing course? I'm curious because it might be something for my kiddos.

She is only beginning with them. I have been contacted by the administration yesterday and the teacher should contact us today. It takes about 48 hours to start. DD has been writing her book report, so she can submit it when the time comes. Will keep you posted:-)
    I am keeping EPGY as an option for next school year as an in class work. How much time per day are your sons spending on it?

C
    cym Offline
    C
    My 2 older DS's attend the class once/week for one hour (very manageable) Then they do their homework which is usually about 2-4 hrs total. They are supposed to improve the classroom technology in April (there have been glitches). Difficult grading can be discouraging to kids used to getting perfect grades.

D
    D
    http://www.writeguide.com/ introduced by Ania

I enrolled my kids for a four month course with this company. I initially intended to enroll only my daughter, as my son does get writing instruction in 6th grade. I was really pleased to learn that SIBLINGS MAY SHARE A WRITING CONSULTANT WITH THIS COMPANY AT NO ADDITIONAL COST. This is wonderful for our situation as both children have plenty of school homework each night. Although, only one child may correspond with the instructor per day, it will work out great with their other requirements.

I�ll let you know how it all progresses.

C
    cym Offline
    C
    delbows,

I want to know how you like these classes. It sounds like a great program so please give us an update in a few weeks.
    Thanks!
    Cym

Ania Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hi Guys:

A few words about our experience. DD 10 (5th grade) finished the course a few weeks ago.
    I think I am having a really difficult time evaluating this experience. I am tempted to say that it did not meet all of "my" expectations, but at the same time I think that I might sign her up again in the near future.
    DD worked with her "writing consultant" on a book report about Anne of Green Gables. The second assignment, towards the end of the course, was a "bragging" letter to a Denver summer program.
    I have to say, that all the re-writes were the work of my daughter, the consultant was just guiding her with totally different examples (I sometimes felt that those examples have actually nothing to do with our story, that they were too general), which I guess was good (see, I am contradicting myself:-). The bad part was that on most days all my daughter needed to do was to correct one sentence. It drove me crazy, especially on weekends - not enough to do!

I would say that overall the whole experience was mediocre. But at least DD got a feedback on her writing - hich is not happening at school.
    Are there any other writing courses out there?

C
    cym Offline
    C
    Hi Ania,

DS13 & DS11 both took an EPGY Writing Class (Intermediate Writing I) this spring. It was pretty intense (with all that we had going on at the same time) and expensive. But both boys thought it was excellent. They really believe it improved their writing and taught them a lot. Their last two essays were terrific. They would be in the virtual class for one hour, once a week with the instructor & other students. They would have weekly assignments that took between 2-4 hrs, sometimes a little more), readings, etc. They covered character development, literary analysis/symbolism, Point of View, essay writing, allusion, compare/contrast, peer commentary, personal narratives. It was short (10 weeks) which I really like and I wouldn't hesitate to sign up for subsequent courses, if it weren't for: cost, some technical difficulties we experienced (they say they're upgrading virtual class program), and our own schedule constraints. The exciting thing was to read the work of other students (age 11-13, but with qualifying SAT scores, so obviously very bright). DS11 has always thought he's a great writer (and he is, or at least he has the ability to become one), but when he read what another very able kid wrote, he understood he has some work to do. I think it's important to expose high ability kids to other high ability kids so that they don't expect a life of coasting. The class was also a little humbling because they're used to getting straight A's but DS13 got a B and DS11 got a B+. Each of them failed an assignment (failing is B-)...I read the work of other kids and thought it was amazing, and my kids improved their writing.

Ania-

I've just heard about this one: http://www.hewitthomeschooling.com/book/blight.asp

I was considering one of the more expensive online courses for this fall, but this is very reasonably priced and the literature selections are excellent. The 19th century lit courses also dovetail very nicely with DS's Thinkwell American Govt. course.

I'm feeling so organized! I never have all this stuff figured out this far in advance...

C
    cym Offline
    C
    It looks great, Lorel. I wonder if my DS would be interested...I'll have to ask.

Ania Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks Lorel :-)

This is however "book" only, correct ?
    I need an online course, so DD can do it while the rest of the class is in regular LA class. Teacher won't help - I think.
    Will have to give it more thought.

I have no direct experience w/ Bravewriter but I enjoy reading her blog. http://www.bravewriter.com/blog2/ She has online writing courses which get good reviews.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM