Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 325 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    Ania Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Happy to report that there is a change!
    Yesterday Ghost brough home a letter from LA teacher saying that she is initiating an extended learning program for some of her brightest students. Each Monday they will be asigned a topic for an essay, tu be turned in Friday. They are to work on their essays during free time in class and finish at home. This month it is a persuasive essay and they are also assigned their stance on the subject.
    I am thrilled. My advocating has helped not only my son but other bright kids.

C
    cym Offline
    C
    That's absolutely wonderful, Ania!

I have been thinking about online writing courses to improve writing skills for DS 13. There is one through Johns Hopkins CTY Distance Learning called "Crafting the Essay" and one through Duke TIP called "Academic Writing". I wonder if anyone has experience with these or others to make recommendations?

Oh Ania! I'm so pleased that your son will be taught in LA this year!
    Yippee!!
    Smiles,
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Ania Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Ok, they are doing those essays in something called "My access".
    It is a computer program, and I immediately had my doubts but after one week the teacher turned off grading option of the computer. Ghost seems to enjoy it, he types fast and likes to be able to access it at any time.
    Anybody familiar with MY ACCESS?

I went to the website - http://www.vantagelearning.com/myaccess/
    I wish I could say that I had hear of this, but I have always wondered if computers could somehow be used to help children learn some aspects of how to write. Personally, I find that being 'corrected' by a spell checker much less emotional than being 'proofed' by a human. I'm glad your teacher turned off the grading option, because it seems very oriented towards writing for state assesments.

Here's their blurb:
    At School :: MY Access!�
    With MY Access!�, students are motivated to write more and attain higher scores on statewide writing assessments. By using MY Access! in the classroom, teachers can provide students with the practice they need to improve their writing skills. The program's powerful scoring engine grades students' essays instantly and provides targeted feedback, freeing teachers from grading thousands of papers by hand and giving them more time to conduct differentiated instruction and curriculum planning.

I think that it's good for computers to replace the more dull and repetitive parts of "being a teacher" so that the best teachers have more time to devote to things that can't be done by computer, and the worst ones are limited in their ability to hold children back. Sort of an educational safety net? ((Humor Alert)) Now the question is - how long do we Moms have to wait before we get replaced, opps, I mean supported, as well? ((wink))

((raised eyebrows))
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Ania Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I have just enrolled DD10 in an individualized one month writing course at www.writeguide.com
    Will keep you posted how it is going:-)
    Ania

D
    D
    Ania,

I have been very impressed with the science, math and computer instruction offered at the junior high level at our school. However, I have become increasingly impatient with the lack of writing instruction (or writing requirements) for the 7th and 8th grades. Just this week, I discovered that my daughter�s English grade so far this quarter, is comprised solely of spelling units and spelling tests (in eighth grade)! I find this to be unacceptable and unbelievable! I had thought maybe all the grammar detail was part of some master plan, but I have come to realize that it is probably just easier to grade!

I have a feeling that you would have had this issue rectified within the first month or two of 7th grade. I did discuss my concerns with the principle last year, who said that a new English curriculum would be implemented this year. Apparently that has been delayed.

Anyway, I have become rather concerned about my daughter�s lack of experience with writing and then see your link! Thank you for posting such useful links!

Ania Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Just learned that you can sign up for a free monthy newsletter, that will include some writing tips. I am sure it is just a clever marketing, but check it out:-)http://www.writeguide.com/teachletter.htm

C
    cym Offline
    C
    So Ania, what did your DD think about the writing course? I'm curious because it might be something for my kiddos.

My two oldest are taking an EPGY writing course now (MUCH more expensive and neither of the boys are doing very well, but they say they are learning a lot). None of their classes at school have taught them how to write essays. Whenever they turn in an assignment, it comes back with a grade on it--no marks. They need the red pen to correct grammar, rearrange sentences--EPGY is doing that, but it ends soon.

Ugh. I always asked my college students how many of them wrote one big research paper their senior year of high school and got it back with a letter grade on it and no comments. It was definitely the majority, and many years the ENTIRE CLASS, to a person, said this was their experience!

Crazy! How can people learn to write better without feedback?

Sorry. I just hate to hear stuff like this.

Kriston
    Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM