Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #30370 11/13/08 09:20 AM
    Austin Offline OP
    OP Offline

Thanks for posting this Austin! It was just what I needed to read. I particularly liked the following quote. It just seemed to speak to me right now!

The coordinator looked at the 3-years-above-level state test that my son had completed with 92% accuracy and said �never mind, he�s doing the grade 5 state test this year and those results are the ones that matter�. The point that it was an 8th grade test was lost. He was now in grade 5 and should only know grade 5 material, and anything more than that is irrelevant.

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    M
    M
    My eldest is 4.5 years old. Despite her young age many of the anecdotes on the page brought a "been there done that" smile to my lips. She has received comments ranging from "You're not old enough to know/do X" or a variation "you only think you know/understand, but you don't. You're too little." (resulting in her going underground and feeling there was someting wrong with her)to "that's just plain freakish" to "no child is ready to know X; you must be hothousing her" to "stop pushing her and let her have a normal childhood" - I could go on, but you get the idea.

Oh and one last from her preschool teacher (parent/teacher conference)when my DD was 3, "I admit she does seem very advanced, but she's going to have to work at the same level as everyone else. She's going to have to learn to be bored. Have you considered limiting her access to things like books and games in your home? So she has something to look forward to during school." (This was a half-day program my DD attend twice per week.) We are now happily home schooling.

We were just talking about this.... it's funny when adults spell things out.... this would happen when he was 4 a lot.

DS7 would say back what they were spelling....

I would look at them with a deer in the headlight face (I can't spell)

M
    M
    Too funny! People would do that to my DD when she was younger.

To me: "Can she have a c-o-o-k-i-e?"
    Before I could answer, DD would say, "Chocolate chip if you have it. Can I have some j-u-i-c-e or m-i-l-k too, please?"

"what...what, what are you talking about?"... yes that's me... overweight, 43, gray haired......

"HUH? What? Are you spelling something? I think he is spelling something or some such?*cough* cough*- I need a lemon drop....."

lmao

Austin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    I upgraded to "intelligent speak" at that point, but soon lost DH when questioning him about the possibility of traveling for processed fowl (McD's) crazy . DD then about 3 would catch on faster....

BWHWAHHA!!

Did he cry fowl?

Mia Offline
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    My kids weren't as bright, but would just say "what...what, what are you talking about?" whenever the spelling began, LOL! I upgraded to "intelligent speak" at that point, but soon lost DH when questioning him about the possibility of traveling for processed fowl (McD's) crazy . DD then about 3 would catch on faster....

LOL, this is what we do too! Usually he just tunes out, but I wonder how often he knows what we're talking about. I think most of the time, but he's wise enough to keep his mouth closed! laugh

Our spelling moment was a few years ago, when a neighbor asked if me if ds-then-4 would like to go to the P-A-R-K. "Oh yes!" he chimed in. "Can we go now, Mama?" The neighbor also had a 4yo and was a little taken aback. smile

Mia
    DS7 learned very early--like a year old or so!--that if we spelled something, ANYTHING, the answer was always "YES!"

I didn't think too much of it at the time, since I knew he couldn't actually spell yet. But now that I think of it, it shows a measure of good sense to figure that out...My little logician! wink

Kriston
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM