Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    2 members (jenjunpr, aeh), 161 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Mamabear, I felt horrible too when I realized my DS had the tracking/perception problems. But Kriston is absolutely right, you have now recognized what is going on and you are getting her help and there is no sense beating yourself up over something you didn't know about before!!! The future will be even brighter for her once she gets the help she needs. My DS was talking the other day about how much easier it is to read now and how he didn't even realize how much trouble he was having before. She'll be there too before too long!!!! smile

OP Offline
    What is odd about DD is that she reads above grade level! But, she can not write well nor can she deal with math at all.

I think she reads well because we are such avid readers and she has learned to compensate for whatever she is not "perceiving".

I know that there is no changing the past but I have to say that we were totally bombarded with information right before a holiday and it takes some time to decompress and digest it all.

Believe me when I say that we are careful that babybear does not see nor hear any of our angst about all this. She is happy with the Doctor and even asked her own questions! We are so proud of her!!!

Now, the question is HOw do we get the school on board with all this?!

We are truly are forward thinking..... so if there is anything we should know or should ask...we are interested!!!

My DS read well above grade level too and I've always found that interesting. He was just able to compensate and "read between the lines" to understand what he read. What I was mainly concerned about was his handwriting, it was atrocious! He couldn't line numbers up either. I just didn't realize his reading off the line, and reversing words and his handwriting were all related to the same problem.

The school told me he wasn't eligible for services (???) so they did nothing formal. He was getting really good grades and I was taking care of everything anyway, so I didn't need them to really do anything and I didn't pursue it further. His teacher was wonderful about giving him accommodations though so it wasn't a problem. If you have an understanding teacher that is a great place to start. If you can get something formal, that would be even better, because then you don't have to just hope for understanding in the future. I hope you have better luck than we did! But the good news is, after about 6 months of vision therapy he was so much better he didn't need very many accommodations any more anyway. Hopefully you'll have the same kind of success!!! smile

Mamabear, so glad they were able to find out what the problem was. DD6 has been helped greatly by her therapy, they can really make progress with vision processing issues these days.

Originally Posted by Isa
    off the track: Incogneato: if you like people who talk fast then you would love me

Hey, I liked you from way back! Now that I know you are a fast talker, I like you even better! wink

OP Offline
    Here is bold question:

If anyone wishes to answer, I am curious how much $$$ this cost where you are. By the time all of the testing is complete, we will have spent around $1600.00!! I know you have to do what you have to do, but the cost is really a struggle especially with the economic issues.

Does that seem like $1600.00 in the ball park? And then what can we expect for therapy sessions?

I can not understand why these Doctors do not participate in Insurances! (Ours may reimburse but we are not completely optimistic that we will see that happen.)

That's just for testing? No therapy or glasses included in there?

What tests were done, do you know? How long did it take?

That's a lot more than we paid, but my DS is only 4yo, and the testing took only an hour or so. It was a couple hundred dollars, if memory serves. Plus $180 for his reading glasses.

Kriston
    OP Offline
    It is a huge battery of tests. Part one took 4 hours, Part 2 is anticipated to last 2+ hours and then we have a 2 hour case presentation. That does not include therapy or glasses (if she needs them.)

I really feel like she could benefit from this, so I may have to just bite the bullet!

I am thinking I may try to find an alternative Optometrist and see what the difference in cost would be.

It's a tough call. They sound very thorough! DD6 had about an hour worth of testing, maybe a little longer. It was $250. Insurance did not pay for the test, but they do pay for therapy minus a co-pay.

Did you get your person's name off of COVD.org?

OP Offline
    I got the name from the school psychologist and checked him out with several organizations. He is a member in good standing, but his costs are a surprise!

We are waiting to see what insurance does with the claim. We were told that they were "good about it". Whatever that means in insurance world. If all goes well, there should only be a co pay.

Wow that is expensive! Our testing was $300 but it only lasted an hour to an hour and a half. The computer therapy I bought for home was $300 and I paid $80 for every therapy session in the office. Our insurance excludes vision therapy so that is why they didn't pay. I hope yours does!!!! If you think his costs are too high you might still check www.covd.org and see if there is anyone else in your area that might be more reasonable.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM